Bow save

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2003
      An event you may find humorous

      Bow Salvation

      On my way to an SCA event last weekend I had a meeting with the
      Highway Patrol. I was on the side of the road with nausea (allergy
      base). Understandably, I was given sobriety tests -- no problem --
      I probably shouldn't have tried to go to the event. They were
      alarmed by my visible 6' boar spear and Viking sword. During their
      allowed search, they were obviously distressed by my additional
      swords, knives and 18 arrows in a belt quiver. While they were
      discussing my 'terrorist' potential another officer showed up --
      don't know if he was HP or what -- had a Slavic name like
      Anuszczyk. He looked things over and ask to see my bow. It is
      encased in a back quiver of leather, hemp and rabbit fur. He asked
      if I would string it -- another sobriety test?
      "May I pull it?
      "What weight?"
      "50# between 26&30"
      "Type?"
      "Assyrian"
      "Period?"
      "600 BC -- basic to Scythian and Hungarian design"
      "Sweet -- incredible draw. Gentlemen, I don't think we have
      much to fear from a piece of art. Let's go!"

      Kinjal
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2003
        "Terrorist potential"? I take it this was CHP? I think I see a
        potential real reason for a paid membership card.

        In service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Mon, 26 May 2003 21:26:11 -0000 "Kinjal of Moravia"
        <gusarimagic@...> writes:
        > An event you may find humorous
        >
        > Bow Salvation
        >
        > On my way to an SCA event last weekend I had a meeting with the
        > Highway Patrol. I was on the side of the road with nausea (allergy
        >
        > base). Understandably, I was given sobriety tests -- no problem --
        >
        > I probably shouldn't have tried to go to the event. They were
        > alarmed by my visible 6' boar spear and Viking sword. During their
        >
        > allowed search, they were obviously distressed by my additional
        > swords, knives and 18 arrows in a belt quiver. While they were
        > discussing my 'terrorist' potential another officer showed up --
        > don't know if he was HP or what -- had a Slavic name like
        > Anuszczyk. He looked things over and ask to see my bow. It is
        > encased in a back quiver of leather, hemp and rabbit fur. He asked
        >
        > if I would string it -- another sobriety test?
        > "May I pull it?
        > "What weight?"
        > "50# between 26&30"
        > "Type?"
        > "Assyrian"
        > "Period?"
        > "600 BC -- basic to Scythian and Hungarian design"
        > "Sweet -- incredible draw. Gentlemen, I don't think we have
        >
        > much to fear from a piece of art. Let's go!"
        >
        > Kinjal

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • James Brummet
        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2003
          Nice story! Yes I think this is a great example on why you should have a paid membership.

          >>> eulenhorst@... 05/26/03 04:04PM >>>

          <gusarimagic@...> writes:
          > An event you may find humorous
          >
          > Bow Salvation
          >
          > On my way to an SCA event last weekend I had a meeting with the
          > Highway Patrol. I was on the side of the road with nausea (allergy
          >
          > base). Understandably, I was given sobriety tests -- no problem --
          >
          > I probably shouldn't have tried to go to the event. They were
          > alarmed by my visible 6' boar spear and Viking sword. During their
          >
          > allowed search, they were obviously distressed by my additional
          > swords, knives and 18 arrows in a belt quiver. While they were
          > discussing my 'terrorist' potential another officer showed up --
          > don't know if he was HP or what -- had a Slavic name like
          > Anuszczyk. He looked things over and ask to see my bow. It is
          > encased in a back quiver of leather, hemp and rabbit fur. He asked
          >
          > if I would string it -- another sobriety test?
          > "May I pull it?
          > "What weight?"
          > "50# between 26&30"
          > "Type?"
          > "Assyrian"
          > "Period?"
          > "600 BC -- basic to Scythian and Hungarian design"
          > "Sweet -- incredible draw. Gentlemen, I don't think we have
          >
          > much to fear from a piece of art. Let's go!"
          >
          > Kinjal

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

        • Belisarius
          Message 4 of 6 , May 27, 2003
            Try crossing the boarder from Canada to the United States carrying
            four bows of various poundage, armour, combat arrows and regular
            arrows and weapons for fighting. After the various questions on why,
            how and where are you going and what group do you belong to. A paid
            membership comes in handy. Oh you are a renactor. have a nice day.
            Mind you I have had more dificulty getting home. Let see sir you have
            spent three days in the United states and all you have to declare is
            2 beers and 50 dollars worth of merchandize. Could you pull your car
            and trailer over there. After the hour search, you have nothing here.
            puzzled look on customs inspectors face. You may go.
            Belisarius

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus Eulenhorst
            <eulenhorst@j...> wrote:
            > "Terrorist potential"? I take it this was CHP? I think I see a
            > potential real reason for a paid membership card.
            >
            > In service to the dream
            > Carolus von Eulenhorst
            > eulenhorst@j...
            >
            > On Mon, 26 May 2003 21:26:11 -0000 "Kinjal of Moravia"
            > <gusarimagic@r...> writes:
            > > An event you may find humorous
            > >
            > > Bow Salvation
            > >
            > > On my way to an SCA event last weekend I had a meeting with the
            > > Highway Patrol. I was on the side of the road with nausea
            (allergy

            > > base). Understandably, I was given sobriety tests -- no problem -
            -

            > > I probably shouldn't have tried to go to the event. They were
            > > alarmed by my visible 6' boar spear and Viking sword. During
            their

            > > allowed search, they were obviously distressed by my additional
            > > swords, knives and 18 arrows in a belt quiver. While they were
            > > discussing my 'terrorist' potential another officer showed up --
            > > don't know if he was HP or what -- had a Slavic name like
            > > Anuszczyk. He looked things over and ask to see my bow. It is
            > > encased in a back quiver of leather, hemp and rabbit fur. He
            asked

            > > if I would string it -- another sobriety test?
            > > "May I pull it?
            > > "What weight?"
            > > "50# between 26&30"
            > > "Type?"
            > > "Assyrian"
            > > "Period?"
            > > "600 BC -- basic to Scythian and Hungarian design"
            > > "Sweet -- incredible draw. Gentlemen, I don't think we
            have

            > > much to fear from a piece of art. Let's go!"
            > >
            > > Kinjal

            > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
          • roguenad2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
              <eulenhorst@j...> wrote:
              > "Terrorist potential"? I take it this was CHP? I think I see a
              > potential real reason for a paid membership card.

              Funny you should mention getting stoped by the CHP. I was headed
              down to the Corona Ren Faire a couple weeks ago, and my van got a
              flat. My van was loaded down for the weekend, Swords, Bows &
              Arrows, Cannons, black powder pistols and rifles.... you now, just
              the Esentials for a weekend.

              Well, the CHP pulls up behind me while I have the back of the van
              open. Walks up and starts with "Got a flat?" while I am sitting
              there pulling the tire off. He then looks up in the back of the Van
              as his partner shines her flashlight on the Cannons, and red ammo
              cans. Then asks "Sir, do you have any Weapons in the vehicle?"

              Me: "Sure Do officer, a few rapiers, a Cutlas, couple long bows,
              some flint lock pistols, three cannons...."

              CHP Officer: "Okay, I get the Idea... You do... Why?"

              Well, after explaining what a Guild is, and that we do black powder
              cannon demos at the Ren Faire they sent us on our way.

              Nad
            • James Brummet
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
                I wish I could have seen the looks on their faces.

                >>> nad@... 06/03/03 09:24AM >>>