Re: periodness of two sights

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
      >This is almost 100 percent a theoretical question, as I prefer showing off the
      >skill I have developed with a sight-free crossbow, but if I had just recently
      >come across documentation for a 16th century crossbow with a front and rear
      >sight (both adjustable, in a limited fashion), and they were stamped with the
      >same maker's mark as the buttplate of the bow (meaning they were not
      >out-of-period additions), would this documentation be enough to cause a
      >re-think in the sights rules for SCA crossbow archery?

      It very well might, but in general, it would be wonderful to see such
      documentation, simply because if it DID exist, many people will want to
      know about it.

      Currently the sights rules are there CLAIMING that it is because they
      didn't exist. At least if the this documentation was brought out, and the
      rules were wanting to remain the same, they would at LEAST have to be
      changed to say: "They are not allowed because of the competitive edge they
      give."

      >Or is the sighting rule (as it should be, in my opinion) there to keep one
      >class of weapons from completely dominating all shooting,

      However, I myself feel that this should not be the case. We are therefore
      then saying: "Sorry, you can't use that perfectly period crossbow at our
      SCA event, where we are supposed to be recreating period things, because it
      gives you an advantage and we don't like that.

      We should be promoting people performing period tasks, and if it was
      period, don't then tell someone they can't do it.

      It would be like (for example) someone coming forward in heavy fighting
      with a one handed sword with a 4' blade on it, and lets say for arguments
      sake (yeah, yeah, I know this wouldn't happen) that this one person, with
      this 4' blade, starts killing everyone, knights, dukes, etc.

      He is unstoppable.

      It would be the same if we then passed a rule saying: "no swords blades can
      be longer than 3' because they otherwise give a competitive edge". Even if
      it was a perfectly period sword style, and he was using it wonderfully.

      Safety is one issue, something being period is another, but competitive
      edge shouldn't be.

      NOW ... let me say something else though ...

      I have NO problems with an equalizer though. It is a known fact that
      crossbows are more accurate than bows in the hands of the
      unskilled. Someone can usually pick up a crossbow and be much more
      accurate than a bow before they have been well trained in it's use.

      Look at the number of ludicrous bowman that are crossbows as the
      description of the top end of crossbow use.

      If crossbows are as
      'extra-deadly-accurate-you-cant-beat-them-with-a-regular-bow' than bows,
      they why are we competing on the same field?

      Personally, I am a crossbowman, why? Because (a) my persona would have
      been MUCH more apt to use a crossbow, and (b) I have alot of fun with it.

      I am not a crossbowman because I want a competitive edge. If dual sights
      were proved period and allowed, yes, I may very well consider putting one
      on to play with it .. why? Because I think it would be fun, and something
      else to try.

      However I am very tired of hearing people call crossbowmen an 'epidemic'
      (even when they are joking and being lighthearted), and I don't know HOW
      many times I have heard VERY good bowman come off of the field and when I
      ask them how they did, the response is: "Couldn't hold up against the
      crossbows today."

      So my question comes again, why are we competing in the same class?

      I would have NO problems, and would in fact enjoy it, if crossbowmen were
      separated into a different competitive division.

      You could have the exact same competitions as you do now. Just don't give
      an 'overall' award. Give a crossbow award, and a bow award.

      Or gauge your competitions to be equal ...

      For example, why don't crossbowmen shoot at 40cm targets for royal rounds
      while bowman shoot at a 60cm? Sounds like a good equalizer to me ...

      Also when designing roving ranges and such, don't let the crossbowmen have
      that much of an advantage ... a good example of this is Pennsic, where
      many/most of the shots did their best to equalize, by having speed rounds
      (typically a bit of an equalizer), and having 'must stand' rounds
      (especailly must stand speed rounds), you can tend to equalize things a bit
      as well ...

      But I have no problem competeing in a different 'class', and in fact would
      like to, as I hate the 'negativity' that I see in people about
      crossbows. I have seen a number of people (my wife included) get
      frustrated with archery because of the crossbowmen (like myself) getting
      better scores quickly. I even know of some bowmen who are getting
      crossbows for similar reasons.

      On the converse, a good example is combat archery, where I still use a
      crossbow, why? Because I am a crossbowmen at heart and I love it. Even
      though people have tried to tell me that I am not going to have as much
      fun, or that I won't be able to be as effective because of reload time,
      etc. So everyone ELSE is using regular bows for combat archery, because
      they are the 'most effective'.

      But I don't care, I use my crossbow, and I love it *grin*

      *shew*

      >and are other
      >examples of front- and rear-sighted crossbows already well known and just
      >disregarded in our situation?

      I don't think so, at least, if they do exist, then I have been lied to /
      misinformed many times

      Siegfried

      Minister of Misinformation (Chronicler & Web Minister)
      http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
    • Obsidian
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
        Chris Nogy wrote:

        > From: Chris Nogy <cnogy@...>
        >
        > This is almost 100 percent a theoretical question, as I prefer showing off the
        > skill I have developed with a sight-free crossbow, but if I had just recently
        > come across documentation for a 16th century crossbow with a front and rear
        > sight (both adjustable, in a limited fashion), and they were stamped with the
        > same maker's mark as the buttplate of the bow (meaning they were not
        > out-of-period additions), would this documentation be enough to cause a
        > re-think in the sights rules for SCA crossbow archery?
        >
        > Or is the sighting rule (as it should be, in my opinion) there to keep one
        > class of weapons from completely dominating all shooting, and are other
        > examples of front- and rear-sighted crossbows already well known and just
        > disregarded in our situation?
        >
        > Just wanted to know, and to start up some conversation...
        >
        > Kaz

        Greetings
        It'd certainly be documentation enough for me; as well as other forms
        of primary referents, such as paintings or woodcuts showing sights, etc.
        I guess the question becomes: what are we about, here in the SCA? If we
        are trying to recreate period techniques and conditions, then I think we
        have a responsibility to follow the lead toward whatever the sources
        tell us was real within period. If we are simply trying to advance our
        own skill using traditional tackle, then it makes more sense to
        artificially constrain the rules in such a fashion as to encourage
        certain types of equipment or practice over others. That's what this
        whole foo-farah over royal rounds has been: they aren't period
        (especially at the distances WE shoot at), but they are handy and
        convenient little benchmarks for keeping track of improvement in skill.
        Myself, I like a blend of period and modern. When someone tells me
        their RR score, they are speaking a language I understand, and I use RRs
        myself quite often. Having said that, though, I'd also like to go on
        record as encouraging work with period bullseyes, wands, popinjays, and
        long-distance shoots. Both styles have their place. Regarding crossbows;
        I enjoy both carefully sharpshooting a C'bow with sights, for maximum
        effect, and I revel in the feeling of accomplishment when I make a good
        shot with unsighted equipage. Both have their place.
        Oh, and for the record on the supposed "dominance" of C'bows: I run the
        annual Winter Challenge (http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html). Last
        years winner, with a terrifyingly good score of 258 points, was won with
        a 38 # recurve; mainly on the strength of 14 arrows each at the 2 speed
        rounds, total of 41 and 40 points per. Crossbows tend to outshoot
        handbows in some venues, but I daresay a crossbowman would be hard put
        to match that sort of speed round performance.

        Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Mid
        --

        Ex Tenebra, Lux

      • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
          Forester Nigel,

          Bear with me a moment, but I have to dispute the reason why a recurve
          won over a crossbow in the winter shoot.

          In my area, we are not allowed to use crossbows in any indoor venue that
          I have checked. This makes shooting crossbows next to impossible in the
          winter shoot.
          So perhaps that is the reason.

          However, I agree with you that the accuracy of 14 arrows at each of 2
          speed rounds is impressive and wonderful.

          YIS
          Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands
          MAY Your arrows fly straight and hit their targets
          AMENSEYA@...
        • Obsidian
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
            AMENSEYA@... wrote:

            > From: AMENSEYA@...
            >
            > Forester Nigel,
            >
            > Bear with me a moment, but I have to dispute the reason why a recurve
            > won over a crossbow in the winter shoot.
            >
            > In my area, we are not allowed to use crossbows in any indoor venue that
            > I have checked. This makes shooting crossbows next to impossible in the
            > winter shoot.
            > So perhaps that is the reason.
            >
            > However, I agree with you that the accuracy of 14 arrows at each of 2
            > speed rounds is impressive and wonderful.
            >
            > YIS
            > Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands
            > MAY Your arrows fly straight and hit their targets
            > AMENSEYA@...

            Greetings
            Oh, I daresay that availablity of practice makes a difference,
            certainly so. I shoot a trad crossbow myself, and am almost entirely
            disallowed from both indoor AND some outdoor ranges, because it doesn't
            have a safety, etc. Last years Winter Challenge had a bunch of crossbows
            near the top of the charts, many from one particular group (Hi,
            Havenholde...), largely because that crossbow-heavy group has a c'bow
            friendly range where they practice at least once a week, if not more.
            My point about a recurve winning the Challenge was not so much about
            specifics of available practice time and general SCA conditions, as it
            was that crossbows and handbows each have well understood advantages and
            disadvantages with respect to one another, and that therefore a
            handbowman shouln't feel that it is always a hopeless proposition to
            compete against a crossbow.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
              Thank you for setting me straight on it. I shoot both crossbow and Mongolian
              bow and understand the advantages that each have and agree with you so
              totally that each has its own plusses and minuses.

              Lady Ayesha
            • Chris Nogy

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
                  AMENSEYA@... wrote:

                  > From: AMENSEYA@...
                  >
                  > Forester Nigel,
                  >
                  > Bear with me a moment, but I have to dispute the reason why a recurve
                  > won over a crossbow in the winter shoot.
                  >
                  > In my area, we are not allowed to use crossbows in any indoor venue that
                  > I have checked. This makes shooting crossbows next to impossible in the
                  > winter shoot.
                  > So perhaps that is the reason.
                  >
                  > However, I agree with you that the accuracy of 14 arrows at each of 2
                  > speed rounds is impressive and wonderful.
                  >
                  > YIS
                  > Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands
                  > MAY Your arrows fly straight and hit their targets
                  > AMENSEYA@...

                  Certainly, some crossbows didn't shoot the winter challenge. On the
                  other hand, the best crossbow shooters of my acquaintance (in the
                  Midrealm, anyway) did shoot it. And were outshot. Otherwise, they were a
                  large proportion of the top ten, I seem to remember.
                  --
                  Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP, CGC
                  - "Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small,
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
                    Greetings:

                    Sort of an omnibus reply coming.

                    On the two-sighted crossbow question, as far as I can remember, I saw
                    one once in the Basel city museum with a "goalpost" style foresight,
                    dated to 1580 or so.
                    It's been about 10 years, so I could be mis-remembering where I saw it,
                    but perhaps writing to the museum director would yield some information?

                    As far as crossbows and unfair advantages...well, no, not really, just
                    anachronistic shooting gear. Personally, I agree with Sigfried,
                    crossbows should probably be in their own division, but not exactly for
                    the same reason.
                    Part of the reason we have such troubles with our "mission" in archery
                    is the huge range of times and places we're trying to re-create.
                    The technology of archery changed tremendously over the 1000+ years the
                    SCA covers. I find it not at all surprising that someone using late
                    period gear can easily outshoot someone using early medieval gear. It
                    has nothing to do with "fair" or "unfair", it has to do with the
                    advances in technology.
                    A more "fair" shooting structure would be to group the archers not by
                    crossbow/handbow, but rather chronologically. So that folks using early
                    period gear don't wind up competing against others using late period
                    tack-drivers. The surprise there isn't that the late period gear is
                    more accurate (but slower), but rather that the hand bows are
                    competitive at all.
                    By way of analogy, would you compete a smoothbore "hook gun" (hand
                    cannon) against a flintlock musket? How'd the musket do against a
                    winchester carbine? What would the carbine be worth against a gatling
                    gun? So why do we compete crossbows against handbows in accuracy contests?

                    Cheers-
                    Alberic
                  • Karl Sandhoff
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
                      I, for one wiould welcome it for the variety it would bring. In mundane
                      competitions we have a plethora of classes for true barebow, single point
                      sighted recorve, doublesighted recurve, and similar for compounds. then
                      we get to the crossbows. It seems silly to me that we have not
                      established a similar system to deal with the range of technology we are
                      using. On the tourney field, the technology didn't change much till the
                      advent of the rapier and we have seperated that entirely. If we are
                      truely trying to we an "educational" organization, we should we showing
                      the changes in the technology over the time and geographic span of the
                      period we are recreating. Thus this documentation should be brought
                      forward, considered, and incorporated.
                      Carolus von Eulenhorst

                    • James W. Pratt Jr.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
                        >From: AMENSEYA@...
                        >
                        > In my area, we are not allowed to use crossbows in any indoor venue
                        that
                        >I have checked. This makes shooting crossbows next to impossible in the
                        >winter shoot.

                        Try using the fact that the crossbows we use are no more powerfull that a
                        hunting compound bow. Also you can voluteer to bring your own back stop to
                        stop the crossbow bolts befor they get buried... another problem with
                        crossbows.

                        James Cunningham
                      • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
                          James,

                          Thank you for the suggestions.

                          Lady Ayesha
                        • Guy Taylor
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
                            > Try using the fact that the crossbows we use are no more powerfull that a
                            > hunting compound bow. Also you can voluteer to bring your own back stop
                            > stop the crossbow bolts befor they get buried... another problem with
                            > crossbows.
                            >
                            > James Cunningham

                            It is quite possiible that the crossbow restriction at some indoor ranges is
                            due to the dislike that many modern archers have for crossbows. It can
                            ocassionally border on rabid hate. Reason might not help in those
                            instances.
                            My local county run outdoor range bans them for political reasons.

                            Taillear
                          • Michael vanBergen
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
                              Publish your sources so those involved in the discussion can be on equal
                              ground.

                              Michael

                              On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 11:02:39 -0800 Chris Nogy <cnogy@...>
                              writes:
                              >From: Chris Nogy <cnogy@...>
                              >
                              >This is almost 100 percent a theoretical question, as I prefer showing
                              >off the
                              >skill I have developed with a sight-free crossbow, but if I had just
                              >recently
                              >come across documentation for a 16th century crossbow with a front and
                              >rear
                              >sight (both adjustable, in a limited fashion), and they were stamped
                              >with the
                              >same maker's mark as the buttplate of the bow (meaning they were not
                              >out-of-period additions), would this documentation be enough to cause
                              >re-think in the sights rules for SCA crossbow archery?
                              >
                              >Or is the sighting rule (as it should be, in my opinion) there to keep
                              >one
                              >class of weapons from completely dominating all shooting, and are
                              >other
                              >examples of front- and rear-sighted crossbows already well known and
                              >just
                              >disregarded in our situation?
                              >
                              >Just wanted to know, and to start up some conversation...
                              >
                              >Kaz
                              >
                              >--------------------------- ONElist Sponsor
                              >----------------------------

                              >Tired of filling out forms and remembering passwords? Gator fills in
                              >forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free
                              >coupons!

                            • Gerald L. Collins
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
                                I am not sure about AMENSEYA@...'s situation, but I know that some
                                of the indoor ranges in the St. Louis, MO area won't allow crossbows
                                because of insurance problems. Also, there has been discussion in the
                                past that crossbows are a firearm because of their mechanical release (I
                                think this is supposed to be a state regulation.) At outdoor ranges
                                I've never worried about the possible problems that might pose and have
                                never had any problems with law enforcement officials.

                                Idris ap Llawr

                                "James W. Pratt Jr." wrote:

                                > From: "James W. Pratt Jr." <cunning@...>
                                >
                                > >From: AMENSEYA@...
                                > >
                                > > In my area, we are not allowed to use crossbows in any indoor venue
                                > that
                                > >I have checked. This makes shooting crossbows next to impossible in the
                                > >winter shoot.
                                >
                                > Try using the fact that the crossbows we use are no more powerfull that a
                                > hunting compound bow. Also you can voluteer to bring your own back stop to
                                > stop the crossbow bolts befor they get buried... another problem with
                                > crossbows.
                                >
                                > James Cunningham

                              • Guy Taylor
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 5, 1999
                                  > From: "Gerald L. Collins" <idris@...>
                                  >
                                  > I am not sure about AMENSEYA@...'s situation, but I know that some
                                  > of the indoor ranges in the St. Louis, MO area won't allow crossbows
                                  > because of insurance problems. Also, there has been discussion in the
                                  > past that crossbows are a firearm because of their mechanical release (I
                                  > think this is supposed to be a state regulation.) At outdoor ranges
                                  > I've never worried about the possible problems that might pose and have
                                  > never had any problems with law enforcement officials.
                                  >
                                  > Idris ap Llawr

                                  Firearms?! I am in the firearms trade and I can assure you that if compound
                                  shooters using mechanical releases had to start going through the political
                                  crap that firearm owners and shooters have to go through, there would be
                                  some Very upset archers.
                                  Saying that crossbows are firearms sounds like typical political stupidity.

                                  Sorry for the rant, gun rights are a sore spot to me.

                                  Taillear
                                • James W. Pratt Jr.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 6, 1999
                                    Everyone please be careful...do not confuse problems, discussion, fact,
                                    attitude, and law. Try to use specifics as much as possible. I thought it
                                    was a law... may do as much harm as Society for Consenting Adults.

                                    James Cunningham

                                    P.S. A flame war over RRs is fine. Bad and/or false information on this is
                                    harmfull.