Footed Arrows might be PRE-CLASSICAL...

  • Matthew Legge
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 1999
      Just my two pence worth, but footed shafts may have been used in
      PRE-CLASSICAL times, at least by the Egyptians...

      From page 22 of Robert Hardy's Longbow he writes that there are four
      Egyptian longbows in the British Museum dating from 2300 BC and 1400BC.
      Also in the collection are some arrows of a similar age. These arrows have
      flint heads set into hard wood foreshafts which are in turn fitted into
      reed main shafts.

      What might be in dispute is the definition of a footed shaft. Perhaps what
      the English experts are referring to is an arrow with a spliced foreshaft?

      However I do interpret Ascham to writing about splicing woods together to
      fix broken shafts, or to prevent the breakage in the first place.

      Just my opinions...

      YIS

      Maidiu