Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Villard de Honnecourt's crossbow

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 37 , May 5, 2003
      Yes, that does explain the cup and line with the little toggle thingie at
      the front of the bow. I have used my crossbow using combat bolts to
      throw fishing line in suspended ceilings to pull network cables.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Mon, 05 May 2003 16:25:17 -0400 Frederick Fenters
      <padraig@...> writes:
      > If I can toss a couple of coins in...
      >
      > It does look like a messenger line at the back of the bolt. The
      > cup
      > doodad could be an adapter to allow a hunting point to be used to
      > carry
      > a line. It looks in that regard like several line throwing devices
      > have seen in the tools catalogs.
      >
      > Padraig MacRaighne

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 6 12:06 PM
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
        wrote:
        > The comment about being in constant motion, like giant birds.
        Makes me
        > think the cloak was attached to both wrists. That would give a
        bird or
        > bat wing appearance and would also provide protection from both
        sides.

        > Jon

        Perhaps, but a regular style half-circle doesn't work. I have been
        playing with some other styles (you probably guessed that)and have a
        prototype that seems to work - even found some material that sorta
        looks like feathers. I'll keep you posted off-line, or here if
        anyone else in interested. Actually it will be cool and servicable
        even if you are not an archer. And it will be semi-perod, being a
        modified Gallic Coat.

        kinjal