Re: Villard de Honnecourt's crossbow

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 37 , May 5, 2003
      If I can toss a couple of coins in...

      It does look like a messenger line at the back of the bolt. The cup
      doodad could be an adapter to allow a hunting point to be used to carry
      a line. It looks in that regard like several line throwing devices I
      have seen in the tools catalogs.

      Padraig MacRaighne
    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 6, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
        wrote:
        > The comment about being in constant motion, like giant birds.
        Makes me
        > think the cloak was attached to both wrists. That would give a
        bird or
        > bat wing appearance and would also provide protection from both
        sides.

        > Jon

        Perhaps, but a regular style half-circle doesn't work. I have been
        playing with some other styles (you probably guessed that)and have a
        prototype that seems to work - even found some material that sorta
        looks like feathers. I'll keep you posted off-line, or here if
        anyone else in interested. Actually it will be cool and servicable
        even if you are not an archer. And it will be semi-perod, being a
        modified Gallic Coat.

        kinjal