Villard de Honnecourt's crossbow

  • L.J. Sparvero
    Message 1 of 37 , May 4, 2003
      Hi all,
      While doing research on a project unrelated to period archery (Gothic
      cathedrals!) I came across a drawing of a crossbow that's puzzled me. The
      artist is Villard de Honnecourt, who made an architect's sketchbook in the
      early 13th century. There's a jpg of it (folio 22 verso) at:
      http://www.newcastle.edu.au/discipline/fine-art/pubs/villard/

      Go to the "search by page" link and click on 22v.

      The crossbow is in the upper right corner. I'm drawing a blank as to the
      purpose of the plumb-bob thing in front of the bolt, or the small block on
      a string that seems to be recoiling from the bow. I can guess that the
      small block could be a type of safety for a rolling nut (see Alm's book),
      but I'm not sure that this was a Gothic invention, as opposed to several
      centuries later. The plump-bob I have no idea either (unless it was
      overlapping the crossbow drawing, and unrelated in concept to it). One book
      mentions this drawing and calls it a "sighting device" (with no further
      explanation). I can't figure out how this could be a sighting device at
      all, at least in our use of the word. Being able to judge distances in
      space accurately and sighting straight lines would no doubt have been
      important to him.

      If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance,

      -Lyev
    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 6, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
        wrote:
        > The comment about being in constant motion, like giant birds.
        Makes me
        > think the cloak was attached to both wrists. That would give a
        bird or
        > bat wing appearance and would also provide protection from both
        sides.

        > Jon

        Perhaps, but a regular style half-circle doesn't work. I have been
        playing with some other styles (you probably guessed that)and have a
        prototype that seems to work - even found some material that sorta
        looks like feathers. I'll keep you posted off-line, or here if
        anyone else in interested. Actually it will be cool and servicable
        even if you are not an archer. And it will be semi-perod, being a
        modified Gallic Coat.

        kinjal