Youth Archery

  • artimis_lebeau
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2003
      Greetings,

      I am an Acrhery Marshal from the Barony of Dragonship Haven. I have
      started last year, an "unofficial" youth archery program for the kids
      of DSH. They shoot a royal round of 10, 20 and 30 yards (40 yards was
      like shooting mortar rounds for them). Kids who had scores on normal
      royal rounds went from scores averaging 4-6 points, to averaging in
      the mid twenties. Mostly it was the confidence building at shooting
      the 10 yard target, and not having the fear of the 40 yard mortar
      round looming at them.

      If something official could be created this would be great. In my
      opinion, having kids score against archers with years more experience
      only seem's to discourage their participation. Since we started the
      youth rounds at the DSH practice, we have had a much greater
      particpation and enthusiasm rate than when the kids were scored
      against the adults.

      I would like also to see junior boronial archery champions
      recognized, along with the title of junior champion, but
      unfortunatley I have met with some resitance with this idea due to
      the use of "Champion" being used with kids.

      Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. I think a
      uniformed measuring system for the kids and recognition would greatly
      increase the number of young folks who would be willing to shoot
      archery. The kids we teach today will be the ones who keep this
      martial activity alive in the future.

      Artimis of the Bow
    • Bob Upson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2003
        On 24 Apr 2003 at 23:49, artimis_lebeau wrote:

        > If something official could be created this would be great. In my
        > opinion, having kids score against archers with years more experience

        So create something "official." All you have to do is set a standard
        and publish it. The <cringe> standard SCA shoots, the Royal Round
        and IKAC, are only as "official" as their sponsor makes them.

        That being said, I urge you to find something more periodesque than
        a "Junior Royal Round" to officialize. Surely there is something
        more interesting for SCAdians -- of any age -- to do on the archery
        range than shoot tedious mundane style competitions wearing funny
        clothes... =)

        > I would like also to see junior boronial archery champions
        > recognized, along with the title of junior champion, but
        > unfortunatley I have met with some resitance with this idea due to the
        > use of "Champion" being used with kids.

        Good.

        > Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. I think a
        > uniformed measuring system for the kids and recognition would greatly
        > increase the number of young folks who would be willing to shoot
        > archery. The kids we teach today will be the ones who keep this
        > martial activity alive in the future.

        If the only motivation they have to shoot is recognition, I'd encourage
        them to shoot somewhere else.

        YIS,
        Macsen
        your neighbor to the north
      • artimis_lebeau
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2003
          Most everyone likes recognition of some sort, one way or another,
          whether it be an award, or a pat on the back and kind word for doing
          well... would be a shame to take that away from hopeful youths or
          archers for that fact. It is usally a good way to make doing
          something and learning something new fun and exciting.
          Artimis

          > If the only motivation they have to shoot is recognition, I'd
          encourage
          > them to shoot somewhere else.
          >
          > YIS,
          > Macsen
          > your neighbor to the north
        • Carolus Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2003
            We have no problem with Champions among our youth in Caid. In fact we
            have a Queen's Champion competition for boffers using 3 age categories
            and we have junior Archery Champions available when we have children who
            want to shoot them.

            In service to the dream
            Carolus von Eulenhorst
            eulenhorst@...

            On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:49:01 -0000 "artimis_lebeau" <Barnowl66@...>
            writes:
            > Greetings,
            >
            > I am an Acrhery Marshal from the Barony of Dragonship Haven. I have
            >
            > started last year, an "unofficial" youth archery program for the
            > kids
            > of DSH. They shoot a royal round of 10, 20 and 30 yards (40 yards
            > was
            > like shooting mortar rounds for them). Kids who had scores on normal
            >
            > royal rounds went from scores averaging 4-6 points, to averaging in
            >
            > the mid twenties. Mostly it was the confidence building at shooting
            >
            > the 10 yard target, and not having the fear of the 40 yard mortar
            > round looming at them.
            >
            > If something official could be created this would be great. In my
            > opinion, having kids score against archers with years more
            > experience
            > only seem's to discourage their participation. Since we started the
            >
            > youth rounds at the DSH practice, we have had a much greater
            > particpation and enthusiasm rate than when the kids were scored
            > against the adults.
            >
            > I would like also to see junior boronial archery champions
            > recognized, along with the title of junior champion, but
            > unfortunatley I have met with some resitance with this idea due to
            > the use of "Champion" being used with kids.
            >
            > Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. I think a
            > uniformed measuring system for the kids and recognition would
            > greatly
            > increase the number of young folks who would be willing to shoot
            > archery. The kids we teach today will be the ones who keep this
            > martial activity alive in the future.
            >
            > Artimis of the Bow

            > list]
            >

            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
          • Naima
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2003
              thank you so much for the information about what each
              of you is doing for the youth in archery. I myself
              have a young boy who is trying his best in learning
              traditional archery and is doing quite well :) and my
              lord's son wants to start learning as soon as we find
              him a small enough bow (he's 5) because dad and Donna
              (yea that's all he knows tells me my name isn't Naima
              it's Donna lol)play on the archery field all the time.

              He's also intrested in Boffing thanks to TRHs John and
              Symone DeClare's son Brandon who was a very patient
              teacher :)

              Naima

              =====
              Sayyida Naima bint Rashid al-Andalusiyya, CGP
              Shire of Bronzehelm
              House Dragon

              my philosophy="If you ask a question you don't want an answer to,
              expect an answer you don't want to hear"

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • hanhebin
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5 1:09 PM
                > If something official could be created this would be great. In my
                > opinion, having kids score against archers with years more
                > experience only seem's to discourage their participation. Since we
                > started the youth rounds at the DSH practice, we have had a much
                > greater particpation and enthusiasm rate than when the kids were
                > scored against the adults.

                Kids really just want to hit the target and they are less concerned
                with score than us adults are. Nevertheless one of the cutest and
                most enjoyable aspects of changing distances and target size for
                kids, is you now have kids trying to compete with the adults. The
                excitement the kids get when they post a higher score than their
                parents is absolutely great. There is nothing like having a kid come
                up to you and ask you what you shot and seeing that smile when they
                posted a higher score. For me I love that excitement and that energy
                makes me sure work harder.

                Michael
              • Gary Shurgin
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 18, 2004
                  Hi everyone,

                  I haven't been able to monitor this list very often. Midrealm YA book has
                  just (2 weeks ago) been approved by Duke Sir Palymar, and will be brought
                  before the curia for approval.
                  After looking at several kingdoms and policies, and the policies of Pennsic
                  towards children, we came up with the following, allowing a flexibility for
                  those Youth who are responsible and already know how to shoot and behave on
                  the ranges from the ages of 10-13.
                  9 and under - Parent must be on line with Youth
                  10-13 - Parent must be on line with Youth or upon the MICs approval (or
                  Youth Archery Marshal in Charge, if there is one), can gain permission for
                  the Parent to shoot on another line, but still must remain on the range.
                  Upon MIC approval, a responsible Party may take the place of the Parent, but
                  Parent is strongly advised.
                  14-17 - year olds - either Parent must be nearby (5 minute walk) or another
                  Responsible Person who knows where to find the Parent and who the Parent is
                  should be on the range.
                  We did this for a few main reason:
                  1. 14 years old is babysitting age in most states.
                  2. If 14-17 year olds are injured, they are still Minors, and legally we
                  can do nothing without the Parents permission. So knowing where the Parent
                  is and someone who can find them quickly is a very good thing, esp. in large
                  events.
                  3. The above also conforms to Pennsic Youth rules, and is a little
                  stricter for the 10-13 year olds.
                  4. The above allows flexibility for different sites, and traffic on
                  ranges.

                  And upon that note..........
                  I am looking for people to volunteer and sponsor a Youth Novelty Shoot for
                  Pennsic 34!!!
                  Please contact me ASAP if you are interested! I usually printout a booklet
                  listing sponsors, shoots and donators to the Youth range.
                  Sponsor needs to contact me with time of arrival. Shoots last 1 hour. I need
                  to schedule 4 per day. Please contact me if you'd like to sponsor a Youth
                  shoot.
                  Sponsors should bring the shoot (which we can re-use later), and have prizes
                  for the Youth (at least a first place prize). I've been doing divisions of
                  Youth - 9 and under; 10-13; and 14-17, but you can arrange anyway you want.
                  Some of the Youth are really good!
                  I am also looking for Youth Championship prizes for the last Friday. I need
                  2 more first place prizes (14-17 and 9 and under); and second place prizes.

                  Charles O'Connor is my Pennsic 34 deputy. He is co-ordinating Youth Archery
                  classes on the field also.

                  And my last note -
                  Muriel is a friend of mine, and my Youth Archery Deputy who helped create
                  the activities on P32 Youth range. Without her, we would not have had the
                  activities and the fun on the Youth range for the past two years. I will
                  sorely miss seeing her being there, but she will never be forgotten!

                  Roewynne
                  Midrealm Youth Archery Marshal

                  Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:40:47 -0800
                  From: Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...>
                  Subject: Re: children's archery

                  Caid requires a parent present on the line with any child under 14 and a
                  parent at the event from 14 to 18. Really makes a difference and means
                  there is a family commitment.
                  Carolus
                  At 11:58 AM 11/16/2004, you wrote:

                  >On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:42:23 -0500, James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  ><cunning@...> wrote:
                  >[...]
                  > > Children can have a lot of fun shooting archery but they still have to
                  > > have
                  > > the precence of mind to stay safe. I have seen those who can and those
                  > > who
                  > > cannot.
                  >
                  >I think that can be aided by having mom or dad around to continue
                  >encouraging the child as they shoot. Kids like to show off for mommy
                  >and daddy and sometimes need that reinforcement to stay focused.
                  >
                  >If you have plenty of marshals, then a marshal can take the place of
                  >the attention-giver and cheer the kid on when they hit the paper...or
                  >even when they hit the gold!
                  >
                  >-Caedmon
                • Gary Shurgin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 19, 2004
                    Hello again!

                    For those interested, I and my web minister have started a Youth Archery
                    site. All youth novelties are welcomed! If you have a pic, we can add those
                    also. Take a look -
                    http://www.midrealm.org/mkyouth/youtharchery.html

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 19, 2004
                      Hello, again....
                      so I've read digest 1791, finally figuring out what the talk was.
                      Anyhow, over the years I've had 2 year olds shooting. Some was shooting
                      rubber tips with dad, the anothers with the help of mom, was holding a real
                      bow (10#); and releasing real arrows, SCA standard (wood, and feather)
                      suitable for the bow.

                      There are some 1/4" arrows being made out there (I'd love to get my hands on
                      some), that are excellent for the light weight (20# and less) bows.

                      Roewynne