Re: [SCA-Archery] Primitive Crossbows

  • Carl West
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2003
      Ian Griffen wrote:

      > Greetings Crossbow men
      >
      > I am trying to read The Crossbow by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey. On pages 57 and 58 there are pictures of a primitive crossbow being braced. I have a question is the Lath(bow) equal to or greater than the length of the Tiller (stock)? The lath (bow) is made of one peice of wood.

      If it's a wooden bow, you're going to want it at least twice as long as its drawlength. It's relation to the tiller's over all length is unimportant.

      > If one was to try to make a crossbow like this would the lath (bow) be made in the same manner that a hand bow would be made?

      You'd shape the 'grip' differently, but aside from that, yes, like a handbow.

      >...If so what would be better to back the lath with seniew or rawhide?

      Sinew gives cast and safety, rawhide gives safety. rawhide is less work.

      --
      Carl West eisen@... http://eisen.home.attbi.com

      I have no superfluous leisure; my stay must be stolen out
      of other affairs; but I will attend you awhile.
      - Isabella, Measure for Measure, Act 3 Scene 1
      -