Primitive Crossbows

  • Ian Griffen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2003
      Greetings Crossbow men

      I am trying to read The Crossbow by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey. On pages 57 and 58 there are pictures of a primitive crossbow being braced. I have a question is the Lath(bow) equal to or greater than the length of the Tiller (stock)? The lath (bow) is made of one peice of wood.

      If one was to try to make a crossbow like this would the lath (bow) be made in the same manner that a hand bow would be made? If so what would be better to back the lath with seniew or rawhide?

      Thank you for your help

      Ian Griffen the Archer

    • Carl West
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2003
        Ian Griffen wrote:

        > Greetings Crossbow men
        >
        > I am trying to read The Crossbow by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey. On pages 57 and 58 there are pictures of a primitive crossbow being braced. I have a question is the Lath(bow) equal to or greater than the length of the Tiller (stock)? The lath (bow) is made of one peice of wood.

        If it's a wooden bow, you're going to want it at least twice as long as its drawlength. It's relation to the tiller's over all length is unimportant.

        > If one was to try to make a crossbow like this would the lath (bow) be made in the same manner that a hand bow would be made?

        You'd shape the 'grip' differently, but aside from that, yes, like a handbow.

        >...If so what would be better to back the lath with seniew or rawhide?

        Sinew gives cast and safety, rawhide gives safety. rawhide is less work.

        --
        Carl West eisen@... http://eisen.home.attbi.com

        I have no superfluous leisure; my stay must be stolen out
        of other affairs; but I will attend you awhile.
        - Isabella, Measure for Measure, Act 3 Scene 1
        -