horse archery

  • dragonbarb2
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
      Does anybody know if Lukas Novotny (mundane) is a member of the SCA?
      He will be running a demo on Horse Archery at the upcoming Equine
      Affair in Columbus Ohio. He owns/ runs Saluki Bows.
    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 11 , May 30, 2004
        Does anyone know how many, if any, SCA events have some form of horse
        archery?

        thank you

        Jon

        Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West, Mists, Esfenn
        An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
        cunning of mind.

      • David Thompson-Hall
        Message 3 of 11 , May 30, 2004
          At 2:06 PM -0700 5/30/04, John edgerton wrote:
          >Does anyone know how many, if any, SCA events have some form of horse
          >archery?

          Some of our equestrian events here in Northshield have been known to
          have some. I've seen it at some demos - not a lot, but they have set

          Probably the best contact would be Viscountess Kassandra Tenebrosa,
          since she has been Equestrian MIC for some of the events I saw.
          (Please let me know if you need to get contact information for her.)

          Jack
          who dreams of doing horseback archery someeday
          but first has to learn to ride a horse

          --
          THL John Bartholomew of Flanders, AoA, CDB, CGC, OSN, Watchman jbf@...
          Barony of Jararvellir, Northshield, Midrealm www.pobox.com/~jbf
        • Donna DeBonis
          Message 4 of 11 , May 30, 2004
            Greetings Sir Jon from THL Donwenna, IKEQC Adminstrator,
            In an effort to promote Mounted archery ,
            I have just added in Mounted archery to the IKEQC for the SCA New Year host
            of activities.
            go to
            www.scaikeqc.org
            for more info.

            .
            Additionally, I am teaching Mounted Archery with my husband Agelos Evienece
            (we are 'second generation ' student of Kassai Lajos) at Fibers and
            Fletching AUG 15 weekend in Aquaterra, AN TIR (mundanely Camano Island east
            of Seattle). Agelos did a demo of Mounted Archery at the East Meets West
            Pilgimage April 24 in Midhaven (Mt Vernon-north of Seattle).

            There is a HorseArchery EList on Yahoo groups, but it is not SCA-exclusive
            and although there are alot of folks on it, only a small per centage
            actually do mounted archery. There is alot of resource there as the
            European Horse archers hang out on that List. As for SCA, I am not sure if
            they are doing any yet at any events & I think only Alastair is on that
            EList, but THL Isolde also does Horse Archery in Calontir, Alastair and
            Kassandra in Northshield .

            Why don't you come up to our event in AUG?

            Ever in Service,
            THL Donwenna Beast Healer, Shittimwoode A & S Champion
            www.lanceofstanne.com/donwenna.html
            Lancer of Dragon's Laire, EqMarshal of the Field
            IKEQC Administrator www.scaikeqc.org

            > Does anyone know how many, if any, SCA events have some form of horse
            > archery?
            >
            > thank you
            >
            > Jon
            >
            > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West, Mists, Esfenn
            > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
            > cunning of mind.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Bruce R. Gordon
            Message 5 of 11 , May 30, 2004
              Greetings
              It occasionally pops up in events across the Midrealm. Not often,
              but it has happened. There is a developing interest in the subject, and
              I am actively encouraging folks to begin dabbling in it, because I like
              and support the idea, and want to see more here.
              I believe the next event in the Mid that will approach the subject
              is Havoc in Hastings (Southern Michigan early September), at which a
              chariot-and-archer demo is supposed to be arranged. Not much more info
              than that at present, but the event website is...
              http://www.threewalls.org/events/havoc/index.html

              Nigel, Midrealm AG

              --
              Ex Tenebra, Lux

            • Harry Bilings
              Message 6 of 11 , May 30, 2004
                There will possibly be horse archery at Ansteorra Argent Anniversary They do some in Ansteorra.
                plachoya
                humble archer
                Ravens Fort Ansteorra

                Does anyone know how many, if any, SCA events have some form of horse
                archery?

                thank you

              • Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
                Message 7 of 11 , May 31, 2004
                  Message: 1
                  > Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 14:06:17 -0700
                  > From: John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
                  > Subject: horse archery
                  >
                  > Does anyone know how many, if any, SCA events have some form of horse
                  > archery?
                  >
                  > thank you
                  >
                  > Jon

                  Sir Jon,

                  I am in the process of getting our Kingdom Eq. marshal warranted for
                  target archery, a requirement of mounted archery. I suspect marshals in
                  our local Barony will be next.

                  There should be one maybe two events in Kingdom this year, where mounted
                  archery may take place. I say may, because it has not been confirmed as yet.

                  Lord Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
                  Kingdom Archer General
                  Kingdom of Artemisia.
                • John edgerton
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 31, 2004
                    Thank you for the information.

                    Jon

                    On Monday, May 31, 2004, at 06:58 PM, Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
                    wrote:

                    > Sir Jon,
                    >
                    > I am in the process of getting our Kingdom Eq. marshal warranted for
                    > target archery, a requirement of mounted archery. I suspect marshals in
                    > our local Barony will be next.
                    >
                    > There should be one maybe two events in Kingdom this year, where
                    > mounted
                    > archery may take place. I say may, because it has not been confirmed
                    > as yet.
                    >

                    > Lord Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
                    > Kingdom Archer General
                    > Kingdom of Artemisia.
                  • Donna DeBonis
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 31, 2004
                      Greetings from Donwenna,

                      Your Equestrian Marshal does not *have* to be a Target Archery Marshal. Currently I am an EQ Marshal (in fact, I am an EQ Marshal of the Field) and I am in the process of becoming a TAM . I agree that it is helpful and a good idea to promote the Mounted Archery if we can be both.

                      The SCA-wide EQ regs state:
                      Appendix III - SCA Minimum Regulations for Mounted Archery

                      These regulations are for both mounted and chariot archery.

                      1. The archery equipment (bows, arrows, targets, etc.) and range must be inspected by a warranted SCA archery marshal. It is acceptable and encouraged that the equestrian marshal may also serve as the archery marshal if they hold the appropriate qualifications.
                      2. Participation Requirements by level:

                      a) Beginner and Intermediate riders must have an EqM (or an Advanced rider designated by the EqMIC) lead their mounts past the archery target(s) and have their reins within reach.
                      b) Advanced riders have two options for in-motion mounted archery. They may either:

                      i. Have an EqM (or advanced rider designated by the EqMIC) longe their mounts past the target and have their reins within reach. OR
                      ii. They may perform in the Japanese, or Yabusame manner if all of the following conditions can be met:

                      a. The course must be set up with a lane approximately 4 yards wide, within a larger area, which is safely cordoned off, from spectators. AND
                      b. An inspection run is given each rider and horse at each event as follows: The rider proceeds down the lane with bow in hand and reins dropped (or secured). The rider aims a shot towards the target and then regains his/her reins and brings the horse under control. The horse should be slowed down by the time it enters the run-out area. The rider should make every effort to control his/her horse if a problem occurs, including dropping the bow if necessary.

                      3. Once the rider demonstrates safely at the desired gait, he/she should take a practice shot at the halt. If the horse does not react badly to the arrow shot, the rider may participate. As always, if a problem occurs the marshals may ask the rider to stop shooting for the day.

                      4. For chariot archery, the horse and driver must have met any required authorizations for driving, but non-equestrian archers shooting from a chariot driven by an authorized equestrian is permitted. These non-equestrian archers must have signed any equestrian waiver in use to signify that they are aware of the risks involved in equestrian sports.

                      5. Golf tube arrows, HTM blunts, small game blunts, Markland type and regulation target points are allowed.

                      6. Bow poundage is not to exceed 35 lbs for use with small game blunts and regulation target points not to exceed 50 lbs for all other types of arrows.

                      7. There should be a barrier of some type that will not allow the horse and rider or horse and chariot to pass closer than 10 yards (30 feet) to any target to prevent danger from the "bounce back" of arrows. Beyond the target area there must either be a wall or archery-proof net, or a clear area a minimum of 100 feet long and 120 feet wide (60 feet on either side of target). The clear area for multiple targets used in "in-motion" shooting may be overlapped.

                      8. Equestrian archery is to be done with inanimate targets only. Both stationary and in-motion shooting is permitted. For stationary shooting activities, a footman or page may hold the horse from the offside.

                      9. Definitions:

                      Stationary shooting - The rider/archer shoots while mounted on his horse, but with the horse standing still. Because it is only possible to shoot comfortably in a 180 degree arc while mounted, A right handed archer can only shoot objects to the left of his horse, it is safe for an experienced horse person to hold a stationary horse from the off side (in this case the right) If a left handed archer then the safe zone would be on the left.

                      In-Motion shooting - The rider/archer shoots while the horse or chariot is in motion, usually at a trot or a canter/hand gallop.
                      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                      Every Kingdom may, of course , have more stringent regs.

                      Ever in Service,
                      THL Donwenna Beast Healer, Shittimwoode A & S Champion
                      www.lanceofstanne.com/donwenna.html
                      Lancer of Dragon's Laire, EqMarshal of the Field
                      IKEQC Administrator www.scaikeqc.org

                    • Chris Mortimore
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
                        A mundane, yet fun and interesting event in Ft. Dodge, Iowa... early September: The International Horse Archery Festival. http://www.intlhorsearchery.org/this_years_festival.htm

                        >>>-----> <-----<<<
                        Johanna von Schöningen
                        Barony Coeur d'Ennui
                        Calontir
                        mka Chris Mortimore

                        > Does anyone know how many, if any, SCA events have some form of horse
                        > archery?
                        >
                        > thank you
                        >
                        > Jon
                        >
                        > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, West, Mists, Esfenn
                        > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
                        > cunning of mind.

                      • John edgerton
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
                          Thank you. The information is most useful. I would to come there for
                          the event, but it is a bit to far to travel.

                          Jon
                          Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn