Re: Critique for "Stunt Archery in LOTR" article

  • daniel_hawley
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 21, 2003
      > I just need your critique on content.

      First I would like to say good site, I like it. I agree with most of
      the comments made earlier, but would like to add one more. I am
      afraid that you have made a mistake that is a pet hate of mine, you
      talk about FIRING a bow. A bow is never fired, and an arrow seldom.
      Firing an arrow is the act of setting fire to it before shooting it.
      When you are shooting a bow the correct term is shooting, or loosing.
      The term firing refers to a gunpowder weapon where you set fire to
      the charge. Now I have got that of my chest there is one other small
      thing, and that is you say that the crossbow can be more powerful,
      but neglect to mention that it is far less efficiant, so that a
      150lb crossbow will acheive a similar performance to a 50lb English
      longbow at short range, but the longbow will outrange the crossbow
      by a considerable margin. (I have tested this)
      Thanks

      Daniel
    • sepdet
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 21, 2003
        Many thanks, good gentles, for the knowledge/advice. All these
        comments will definitely help me improve the article's accuracy.

        Who knows, I may be a lousy shot, and my chances of hitting Yeoman
        rank before Pennsic 60 are still zilch, but by the end of working on
        this I will at least know more! And hopefully I will have done a
        service to traditional archery by getting a few more people involved
        in it.

        -- Helena kitharode
      • Al T
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 23, 2003
          Ah, Daniel,
          The use of "fire" instead of "shoot" for archery has always been one
          of my pet peeves also. That along with "bullseye" for the center of
          a target, which is another gun term. For archery the correct terms
          for the target's center are "mark" (period); "gold" (modern, and
          only applies to a target with a yellow center); and "prick" (period,
          but might be misunderstood...) Another modern term, used for targets
          with that little "x" mark at dead center is "beer-X." I'd personally
          like to revive this term, and the custom that goes along with
          it. "Beer-X" comes from the college tradition where the other
          archers on a target furnish a beer to the first to hit the "beer-X"
          in competition.
          Thus have I seen...
          -Allan Bluehood-

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "daniel_hawley"
          <daniel_hawley@y...> wrote:
          > First I would like to say good site, I like it. I agree with most
          of
          > the comments made earlier, but would like to add one more. I am
          > afraid that you have made a mistake that is a pet hate of mine, you
          > talk about FIRING a bow. A bow is never fired, and an arrow seldom.
          > Firing an arrow is the act of setting fire to it before shooting
          it.
          > When you are shooting a bow the correct term is shooting, or
          loosing.
          > The term firing refers to a gunpowder weapon where you set fire to
          > the charge. Now I have got that of my chest there is one other
          small
          > thing, and that is you say that the crossbow can be more powerful,
          > but neglect to mention that it is far less efficiant, so that a
          > 150lb crossbow will acheive a similar performance to a 50lb English
          > longbow at short range, but the longbow will outrange the crossbow
          > by a considerable margin. (I have tested this)
          > Thanks
          >
          > Daniel
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 24, 2003
            Loose(sp) is the archery term!
            I cannot remember the proper reference.
            I go ahead and train Archery Marschals to use the period terms. nock, draw,
            loose
            James Cunningham

          • s.l.rees@ieee.org
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 24, 2003
              Hey Allan,

              Can I (and probably Andras) come shoot with you sometime? In AnTir the
              'beer-x' has been altered in meaning. The person who takes out the 'x'
              owes all the other archers on the line a drink. I'm still paying for the
              Crown event where I managed to hit it twice in one weekend.

              Shadhra

              > Ah, Daniel,
              > The use of "fire" instead of "shoot" for archery has always been one of
              > my pet peeves also. That along with "bullseye" for the center of a
              > target, which is another gun term. For archery the correct terms for
              > the target's center are "mark" (period); "gold" (modern, and only
              > applies to a target with a yellow center); and "prick" (period, but
              > might be misunderstood...) Another modern term, used for targets with
              > that little "x" mark at dead center is "beer-X." I'd personally like
              > to revive this term, and the custom that goes along with
              > it. "Beer-X" comes from the college tradition where the other
              > archers on a target furnish a beer to the first to hit the "beer-X" in
              > competition.
              > Thus have I seen...
              > -Allan Bluehood-

            • James Brummet
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 24, 2003
                I like it! We need something like here in the Outlands, or at least Dragonsspine.

                >>> s.l.rees@... 03/24/03 10:38AM >>>
                Hey Allan,

                Can I (and probably Andras) come shoot with you sometime? In AnTir the
                'beer-x' has been altered in meaning. The person who takes out the 'x'
                owes all the other archers on the line a drink. I'm still paying for the
                Crown event where I managed to hit it twice in one weekend.

                Shadhra

                > Ah, Daniel,
                > The use of "fire" instead of "shoot" for archery has always been one of
                > my pet peeves also. That along with "bullseye" for the center of a
                > target, which is another gun term. For archery the correct terms for
                > the target's center are "mark" (period); "gold" (modern, and only
                > applies to a target with a yellow center); and "prick" (period, but
                > might be misunderstood...) Another modern term, used for targets with
                > that little "x" mark at dead center is "beer-X." I'd personally like
                > to revive this term, and the custom that goes along with
                > it. "Beer-X" comes from the college tradition where the other
                > archers on a target furnish a beer to the first to hit the "beer-X" in
                > competition.
                > Thus have I seen...
                > -Allan Bluehood-

              • Al T
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 25, 2003
                  You can come down to sunny Caid and shoot with me anytime...
                  But that ain't the way we did it when I was in college. It was only
                  the archers on the same target, usually only 4. The entire line???
                  I've seen shoots where that would require a whole keg. Or two...
                  -Allan Bluehood-

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, <s.l.rees@i...> wrote:
                  > Hey Allan,
                  >
                  > Can I (and probably Andras) come shoot with you sometime? In AnTir
                  the
                  > 'beer-x' has been altered in meaning. The person who takes out
                  the 'x'
                  > owes all the other archers on the line a drink. I'm still paying
                  for the
                  > Crown event where I managed to hit it twice in one weekend.
                  >
                  > Shadhra

                • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 27, 2003
                    Konnichi wa, all,
                    I am just letting people know I added 4 pics in the kyudo equipment
                    folder of the photos section. These are of a soon-to-be finished new
                    ebira of the type worn with armor (not hunting). It shows the lower
                    box grid I have been working with to keep the target points in place.
                    Each box grid can hold a matched pair of ya. Parrallel sets of thin
                    rattan will be added to the top part of the box, as well as a
                    lacquered leather backing, traditional himo (cording) and straps,
                    probably in red silk and natural doeskin. (You can see these parts on
                    the hunting ebira.)

                    Date Saburou Yukiie
                    Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave.
                    http://www.kabutographics.com
                    kabuto@...
                  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 31, 2003
                      Konnichi wa all,
                      If any care to see, I just added a few more ebira pics to the kyudo
                      equipment folder of the finished new ebira, alongside of the hunting
                      style ebira for comparison.

                      Date

                      Date Saburou Yukiie