Re: [SCA-Archery] Critique for

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2003
      Greetings
      Overall, a very nice group of pages; you are to be congratulated
      on an excellent bit of research and explanation.
      Just three quibbles:
      1). In section 1, bows, you refer to Longbows as being developed
      by the Welsh and English. As it happens, the longbow is very ancient -
      several examples have been pulled from bogs in Scotland, Denmark, and
      elsewhere, that are several thousand years old. The so-called "Ice-
      man", the remains of a chalcolithic mountaineer that were recovered
      from a glacier on the Austro-Italian frontier some years back, had with
      him a yew bow 71 inches long, with a set of viburnum arrows - he dates
      from several centuries before the Pyramids were built. Teutonic tribes
      devastated a Roman army at Neuss in the 4th century AD with massed
      longbows. The Welsh and English perfected the form, but certainly
      didn't invent it.
      2). Also in section 1, bows, you might also mention that another
      advantage of crossbows is that while it takes a years of practice
      before one can be a fine shot with a longbow, a crossbow is relatively
      simple to gain proficiency with - you can put one in the hands of a
      complete novice, and expect that with steady practice they will be
      hitting the target reasonably well in days or weeks. Conversely, a
      DISadvantage is that they are a lot slower shooting than longbows.
      3). In section 2, arrows. you refer to atlatls as being from "Down
      Under". Well, maybe; I haven't seen any documentation on traditional
      Australian techniques. But the term "atlatl" is Nahuatl (Mesoamerican)
      and the modern style descends from Aztec versions.

      Cordially;
      Forester Nigel FitzMaurice

      --
      Ex Tenebra, Lux