Re: Re: period shoots

  • Bob & Nancy Upson
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 18, 1999
      > What criteria does the East Kingdom use in selecting it's champions and
      > allies?

      The selection process starts by observing the phase of the moon
      and then proceeds to goat entrails... ;)

      There's no set process that I'm aware of -- it seems to vary from
      season to season. Some pretty stable factors include things like:
      making the final cut in K&Q's Champion's Tourney (a Sure
      Thing(tm), being among the usual suspects (i.e. the established
      bow-god elite), and/or having made a good showing and being seen
      doing it over the course of the season in general. FWIW, I've
      people who happened to be ranked as Master Bowmen to be
      picked over Grand Masters on occasion simply because people
      know that RRs don't necessarily select all that well for tourney
      competitors.

      I'd make an educated guess that the Captain-General probably
      knows who at *least* two thirds of the team will be well before War
      with the balance being selected by watching to see who is "in the
      zone" that week.

      Of course, depending on who's on the throne, there are
      occasionally political appointments of archers who may or may not
      be of the highest caliber...*grumble* (Yes, this is a personal
      peeve. The first year I was *almost* on the team my spot was filled
      by an out-kingdom baroness who couldn't hit the broad side of a
      barn...) Exclusionary rules also come and go like one year's, "If
      you don't shoot at K&Q's, you can't be on the team."

      In short, it's a crap shoot, but it seems to work pretty well. =)

      Macsen