[SCA-Archery] Range/shoot ideas

  • Andrea Sprague
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9 10:49 AM
      Greetings everyone.

      My husband is an archery marshal in the East. He is quite happy to do the
      safety bits and paperwork and all. However, he would be just fine with
      having folks shoot at a normal round target all the time. If we are to have
      any variety in our archery practices, the ideas and implementation are up to
      me.

      I'd like interesting ideas. I'd like period ideas. Our practices last year
      would get 5-10 people out generally, and last a couple of hours. We are
      shooting in the backyard of our country home. I have gotten some ideas from
      events, however, the number of people and the duration of our practices
      might lend themselves to other types of shoots.

      Do you have any suggestions?

      Thanks.

      Margaret
    • hanhebin
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10 7:25 AM
        > I'd like interesting ideas. I'd like period ideas. Our practices
        > last year would get 5-10 people out generally, and last a couple of
        > hours. We are shooting in the backyard of our country home. I
        > have gotten some ideas from events, however, the number of people
        > and the duration of our practices might lend themselves to other
        > types of shoots.
        >
        > Do you have any suggestions?

        There are a couple of suggestions is to find rounds that teach good
        form and do variations of these rounds in your practices. One I like
        is a wand round because for beginning archers I find that with
        traditional teaching string alignment is a DEFINITE MUST.

        Another suggestion I always give is find a few shoots that are done
        at various wars and champion events so that you can teach and
        practice these shoots. Each one of these shoots create a tip sheet
        on how to shoot that particular shoot well from tips you recieve from
        the best archers you know (as I know there are plenty of great
        archers in your kingdom). A week or two before the practice shoot
        hand out your tip sheet and this will not only serve as an
        announcement for your shoot but getting people doing their mental
        preparation.

        Michael