Re: [SCA-Archery] New Toys & A Good Day

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2003
      Are you using the same size and cut feathers for your helical and your
      straight fletches? I assume you are a right handed archer. In this case
      I suspect that you have a slight pluck in your release. A right handed
      archer who plucks on release will send the arrow to the left. The
      helical fletch will have a tendency to spin the arrow faster and maintain
      its attitude better. If it is slightly yawed on release (as from a
      pluck) it will tend to fly in the direction of the yaw. The straight
      fletching will tend to allow the arrow to follow the point better and
      straighten in flight thus showing less tendency to travel to the left.
      Try paper tuning your bow. With the paper about 5 feet in front of your
      bow I suspect that you will find both skew to the left initially (the
      fletching will pass to the right of the point)

      You might try using a mix of 50-50 baby powder and corn starch on your
      glove/tab to make it slicker and ease your release. Also make sure your
      tab/glove is free of grease..

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:59:28 -0600 robert1015@... writes:
      > snip<
      > As for Blitzenberger Fletching jigs, I have a reacurring problem and
      > would like some input. If I am shooting a set of arrows that
      > consistantly
      > drifts to the left no matter if I shoot with the target style stance
      > or
      > the Instinctive style stance, am I using too much of an angle on my
      > fletchings? It only seems to do this with the Helical fletching and
      > doesn't do this with the "straight" clamps. (They still have a
      > little
      > helix to them) I'm not really shooting anything relativily fast,
      > could it
      > just be that my bows don't have the speed to keep them from
      > drifting
      > over? The bows I am shooting them out of are a 60# Fred Bear
      > Takedown
      > and a 50# PSE Firebird, with my anchor point to the very front of
      > my
      > lower jaw. Please nobody get on my case for porr form, I know I
      > have
      > terrible form, but its consistant :) I am predominantly a rifleman
      > afterall :P
      >
      >snip<
      >
      > RT, known as Whelp :)

      Only $9.95 per month!