Re: [SCA-Archery] New Toys & A Good Day

  • Chad and Erin Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2003
      No advice from about the arrow drift, except maybe that the arrows are spined
      too heavy/too light and are just bending funny on you, but since the straight
      fletched arrows shoot straight, I don't know if that would be an issue.

      As for the shafts, the loaner arrows that Erin and I have are
      donated/found/mutts from 2 years of collecting extra arrows. I don't know their
      spine weights. Oh, and I don't dip. I use steel wool or light sandpaper to
      allow the fletch tape to grip something, then use paste wax to seal the shafts.
      Did you happen to notice the arrows I shoot off my crossbow and longbow? They
      are plain and undipped, no cresting. Just some paste wax to seal them from
      wetness. So, as a result, I have the entire 27" of shafting left.

      -Caedmon
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2003
        Are you using the same size and cut feathers for your helical and your
        straight fletches? I assume you are a right handed archer. In this case
        I suspect that you have a slight pluck in your release. A right handed
        archer who plucks on release will send the arrow to the left. The
        helical fletch will have a tendency to spin the arrow faster and maintain
        its attitude better. If it is slightly yawed on release (as from a
        pluck) it will tend to fly in the direction of the yaw. The straight
        fletching will tend to allow the arrow to follow the point better and
        straighten in flight thus showing less tendency to travel to the left.
        Try paper tuning your bow. With the paper about 5 feet in front of your
        bow I suspect that you will find both skew to the left initially (the
        fletching will pass to the right of the point)

        You might try using a mix of 50-50 baby powder and corn starch on your
        glove/tab to make it slicker and ease your release. Also make sure your
        tab/glove is free of grease..

        In service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:59:28 -0600 robert1015@... writes:
        > snip<
        > As for Blitzenberger Fletching jigs, I have a reacurring problem and
        > would like some input. If I am shooting a set of arrows that
        > consistantly
        > drifts to the left no matter if I shoot with the target style stance
        > or
        > the Instinctive style stance, am I using too much of an angle on my
        > fletchings? It only seems to do this with the Helical fletching and
        > doesn't do this with the "straight" clamps. (They still have a
        > little
        > helix to them) I'm not really shooting anything relativily fast,
        > could it
        > just be that my bows don't have the speed to keep them from
        > drifting
        > over? The bows I am shooting them out of are a 60# Fred Bear
        > Takedown
        > and a 50# PSE Firebird, with my anchor point to the very front of
        > my
        > lower jaw. Please nobody get on my case for porr form, I know I
        > have
        > terrible form, but its consistant :) I am predominantly a rifleman
        > afterall :P
        >
        >snip<
        >
        > RT, known as Whelp :)

        Only $9.95 per month!