New Toys & A Good Day

  • Chad and Erin Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2003
      I used my new Woodchuck Power Taper Tool today for the first time. Once I got
      the taper just right, I went through 16 arrows in 2 minutes, a perfect point
      taper on each one.

      Also got a Blitzenberger Fletching jig, but I haven't unpacked it, yet.

      I have never had so much fun making arrows. I am using the new tools to go
      through Erin and I's collection of loaner arrows and remake each one. The main
      problem is that we have about 3 dozen arrows and no 6 match. My first goal
      today was to get together the 11/32" shaft arrows and make them all the same
      length. Arrows from 28" to 31" all got whacked off at 27". I am not going to
      match spine weights for these arrows, but at least having them all the same
      length is a good start.

      Next week, all of the 5/16" shaft arrows.

      After that, and since the weather was so nice out today, I shot for an hour and
      a half. It felt good.

      Have a day!

      -Caedmon
    • robert1015@juno.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2003
        Personally, i never liked the New woodchuck. I prefer the older version
        from Horizon before being bought out that had the plastic type tubes that
        you insert the shafts into to guide them to the correct angle and depth.
        Same motor as the woodchuck, but doesn't have the long 5/15 degree taper
        grooves. Mainly I don't like the way the woodchuck tapers down more than
        it needs to. With my older Horizon I can taper the shaft right down to
        where I want it and give myself a litte collar to but up my tip so that
        there is no metal overhang onto the shaft to catch up on the retrieval of
        arrows. Less target destruction from ripping, and almost 2 finger
        retrievals. Now if I only hadn't lost my 23/64 sleeve.....

        As for Blitzenberger Fletching jigs, I have a reacurring problem and I
        would like some input. If I am shooting a set of arrows that consistantly
        drifts to the left no matter if I shoot with the target style stance or
        the Instinctive style stance, am I using too much of an angle on my
        fletchings? It only seems to do this with the Helical fletching and
        doesn't do this with the "straight" clamps. (They still have a little
        helix to them) I'm not really shooting anything relativily fast, could it
        just be that my bows don't have the speed to keep them from drifting
        over? The bows I am shooting them out of are a 60# Fred Bear Takedown
        and a 50# PSE Firebird, with my anchor point to the very front of my
        lower jaw. Please nobody get on my case for porr form, I know I have
        terrible form, but its consistant :) I am predominantly a rifleman
        afterall :P

        "The main problem is that we have about 3 dozen arrows and no 6 match.
        My first goal
        today was to get together the 11/32" shaft arrows and make them all the
        same
        length. Arrows from 28" to 31" all got whacked off at 27". I am not
        going to
        match spine weights for these arrows, but at least having them all the
        same
        length is a good start."

        Caedmon, where are you getting your shafts? Are these leftover shafts or
        are they all bought as the same poundage package ie 35-40# shafts? I hope
        your chopping them of after finishing them, I know the sealing process I
        do for my open class shafts I waste about 2" on the tip end just to grip
        the shaft for dipping in the sealant. If this is the case for you as
        well, you'll end up with a nice set of 25 1/2" shafts at longest. Plenty
        short for you I believe.

        RT, known as Whelp :)

      • Chad and Erin Wilson
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2003
          No advice from about the arrow drift, except maybe that the arrows are spined
          too heavy/too light and are just bending funny on you, but since the straight
          fletched arrows shoot straight, I don't know if that would be an issue.

          As for the shafts, the loaner arrows that Erin and I have are
          donated/found/mutts from 2 years of collecting extra arrows. I don't know their
          spine weights. Oh, and I don't dip. I use steel wool or light sandpaper to
          allow the fletch tape to grip something, then use paste wax to seal the shafts.
          Did you happen to notice the arrows I shoot off my crossbow and longbow? They
          are plain and undipped, no cresting. Just some paste wax to seal them from
          wetness. So, as a result, I have the entire 27" of shafting left.

          -Caedmon
        • Carolus Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2003
            Are you using the same size and cut feathers for your helical and your
            straight fletches? I assume you are a right handed archer. In this case
            I suspect that you have a slight pluck in your release. A right handed
            archer who plucks on release will send the arrow to the left. The
            helical fletch will have a tendency to spin the arrow faster and maintain
            its attitude better. If it is slightly yawed on release (as from a
            pluck) it will tend to fly in the direction of the yaw. The straight
            fletching will tend to allow the arrow to follow the point better and
            straighten in flight thus showing less tendency to travel to the left.
            Try paper tuning your bow. With the paper about 5 feet in front of your
            bow I suspect that you will find both skew to the left initially (the
            fletching will pass to the right of the point)

            You might try using a mix of 50-50 baby powder and corn starch on your
            glove/tab to make it slicker and ease your release. Also make sure your
            tab/glove is free of grease..

            In service to the dream
            Carolus von Eulenhorst
            eulenhorst@...

            On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:59:28 -0600 robert1015@... writes:
            > snip<
            > As for Blitzenberger Fletching jigs, I have a reacurring problem and
            > would like some input. If I am shooting a set of arrows that
            > consistantly
            > drifts to the left no matter if I shoot with the target style stance
            > or
            > the Instinctive style stance, am I using too much of an angle on my
            > fletchings? It only seems to do this with the Helical fletching and
            > doesn't do this with the "straight" clamps. (They still have a
            > little
            > helix to them) I'm not really shooting anything relativily fast,
            > could it
            > just be that my bows don't have the speed to keep them from
            > drifting
            > over? The bows I am shooting them out of are a 60# Fred Bear
            > Takedown
            > and a 50# PSE Firebird, with my anchor point to the very front of
            > my
            > lower jaw. Please nobody get on my case for porr form, I know I
            > have
            > terrible form, but its consistant :) I am predominantly a rifleman
            > afterall :P
            >
            >snip<
            >
            > RT, known as Whelp :)

            Only $9.95 per month!