Re: [SCA-Archery] The Archer's Tale

  • James Brummet
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
      Thank you M'Lord for the website! I must admit that I have fell in love with Cornwell's writting. I will have to check out the Warlord Chronicle and I also want to check out his Nathaniel Starbuck Chronicles.

      >>> smills@... 03/07/03 09:27AM >>>
      James Brummet <brummejr@...> said:

      > Sense I am the one who asked for book ideas I thought I would share one
      > with the list. If you have not read Bernard Cornwll's The Archer's Tales
      > go out and get a copy. While the main chariter (sp) is fiction all the
      > royality and battle are true. The book takes place at the very beginning
      > of the 100 years war. The book is well thought out and researched so I
      > hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

      This is an excellent peice of hisorical fiction by Bernard Cornwell. Dont
      forget the next book in the series "Vagabond".

      According to Cornwell there are at least two more books to come in the series.

      Go to the authors site at http://www.bernardcornwell.net/

      This Archers Tale series is known as "The Grail Quest" series. In Europe the
      Archers Tales was published under the title "Harlequin" but US publishers
      feared that name would cause it to be mistaken for a romance novel.

      Although not archer related, another very good SCA period set of books from
      Cornwell is the "Warlord Chronicles" or "The Arthur Books". This three
      volume series comprised of "The Winter King", "Enemy of God", and "Excalibur"
      explores the myth of Arthur in post-Roman Britain. It is the most
      entertaing, educational, and entertaining telling of Arthur that I have yet
      to read.

      Regards,

      --
      Lord Eadric Anstapa
      Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra

    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
        Greetings,
        Yes this is a really good book. It's part of a series that he's
        written and they are all available in paperback. I know, cause I have
        two of them. He credits Hardy's "Longbow" for many of his references
        among other very scholarly sources. He did his homework. Good story,
        too.
        -Geoffrei