The Archer's Tale

  • James Brummet
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
      Sense I am the one who asked for book ideas I thought I would share one with the list. If you have not read Bernard Cornwll's The Archer's Tales go out and get a copy. While the main chariter (sp) is fiction all the royality and battle are true. The book takes place at the very beginning of the 100 years war. The book is well thought out and researched so I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!
    • David Peno
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
        This is a awesome book and the next chapter in the
        story is "Vagabond" I think. It is out in hardback now
        and hopefull paperback soon.

        Dave
        --- James Brummet <brummejr@...> wrote:
        > Sense I am the one who asked for book ideas I
        > thought I would share one with the list. If you
        > have not read Bernard Cornwll's The Archer's Tales
        > go out and get a copy. While the main chariter (sp)
        > is fiction all the royality and battle are true.
        > The book takes place at the very beginning of the
        > 100 years war. The book is well thought out and
        > researched so I hope you all enjoy it as much as I
        > did!

        > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2002 by
        > Medieval Mart
        > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
        > http://www.medievalmart.com/

        > leave this list]
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Eadric Anstapa
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
          James Brummet <brummejr@...> said:

          > Sense I am the one who asked for book ideas I thought I would share one
          > with the list. If you have not read Bernard Cornwll's The Archer's Tales
          > go out and get a copy. While the main chariter (sp) is fiction all the
          > royality and battle are true. The book takes place at the very beginning
          > of the 100 years war. The book is well thought out and researched so I
          > hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

          This is an excellent peice of hisorical fiction by Bernard Cornwell. Dont
          forget the next book in the series "Vagabond".

          According to Cornwell there are at least two more books to come in the series.

          Go to the authors site at http://www.bernardcornwell.net/

          This Archers Tale series is known as "The Grail Quest" series. In Europe the
          Archers Tales was published under the title "Harlequin" but US publishers
          feared that name would cause it to be mistaken for a romance novel.

          Although not archer related, another very good SCA period set of books from
          Cornwell is the "Warlord Chronicles" or "The Arthur Books". This three
          volume series comprised of "The Winter King", "Enemy of God", and "Excalibur"
          explores the myth of Arthur in post-Roman Britain. It is the most
          entertaing, educational, and entertaining telling of Arthur that I have yet
          to read.

          Regards,

          --
          Lord Eadric Anstapa
          Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
            I saw Vagabond and was going to get it intill I saw a litte blurp on the Cover "From the Auther of The Archer's Tale". I asked the store to order me a copy in hardback (I had a feeling it was going to make the rounds here in DragonsSpine) and have been reading all week at work. I must admit I had to look up what a Yale was on the internet and have learned a lot of history from the book. anyway I can't wait to start Vagabond this weekend.

            >>> dpeno@... 03/07/03 09:11AM >>>

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
              Thank you M'Lord for the website! I must admit that I have fell in love with Cornwell's writting. I will have to check out the Warlord Chronicle and I also want to check out his Nathaniel Starbuck Chronicles.

              >>> smills@... 03/07/03 09:27AM >>>

            • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7, 2003
                Greetings,
                Yes this is a really good book. It's part of a series that he's
                written and they are all available in paperback. I know, cause I have
                two of them. He credits Hardy's "Longbow" for many of his references
                among other very scholarly sources. He did his homework. Good story,
                too.
                -Geoffrei