RE: [SCA-Archery] Fletching tape/instant glue

  • Greg Christensen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2003
      I have used the tape and it has come up on me. I then had to put a bead down
      the side to keep it down, this defeats the purpose. I prefer instat fletch
      tite or crazy glue that is a gel, it has blue sides that you squeeze to make
      the glue come out and it works fast. Just don't put it on your fingers
      otherwise you'll fletch your fingers instead of your shaft. You also need
      to make sure your glue is compatable with the finish on your shafts.

      GREGGE the ARCHER

    • John Edgerton
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2003
        Greg Christensen wrote:

        >I have used the tape and it has come up on me. I then had to put a bead down
        >the side to keep it down, this defeats the purpose.

        Not entirely. It still allows to attach the fletches quickly as there is
        no waiting for the glue to dry.. You can then take your time to add the
        glue bead. Also you do not have to worry about gluing your fingers
        together. :-)

        Jon

        > I prefer instat fletch
        >tite or crazy glue that is a gel, it has blue sides that you squeeze to make
        >the glue come out and it works fast. Just don't put it on your fingers
        >otherwise you'll fletch your fingers instead of your shaft. You also need
        >to make sure your glue is compatable with the finish on your shafts.
        >
        >GREGGE the ARCHER

      • Greg Christensen
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 2003
          But, you are doubling your cost by using the tape and then also the glue.
          If you go through arrows fast (break, lose, destroy) then the tape is fine
          by itself, but if your arrows are around for years then use something more
          permenant.

          GREGGE the ARCHER

          >From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
          >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching tape/instant glue
          >Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:24:48 -0800
          >
          >>Greg Christensen wrote:
          >
          > >I have used the tape and it has come up on me. I then had to put a bead
          >down
          > >the side to keep it down, this defeats the purpose.
          > >
          >Not entirely. It still allows to attach the fletches quickly as there is
          >no waiting for the glue to dry.. You can then take your time to add the
          >glue bead. Also you do not have to worry about gluing your fingers
          >together. :-)
          >
          >Jon
          >
          > > I prefer instat fletch
          > >tite or crazy glue that is a gel, it has blue sides that you squeeze to
          >make
          > >the glue come out and it works fast. Just don't put it on your fingers
          > >otherwise you'll fletch your fingers instead of your shaft. You also
          >need
          > >to make sure your glue is compatable with the finish on your shafts.
          > >
          > >GREGGE the ARCHER

        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 21, 2003
            Greg Christensen wrote:

            >But, you are doubling your cost by using the tape and then also the glue.

            I am not rich, but the extra cost is so minimal it is hardly worh
            worrying about. At a guess two or three cents per arrow. I prefer the
            ease and speed of the tape. But, I like to safe and run the bead anyway.

            Jon

          • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 21, 2003
              Greetings,
              I've used the tape. I don't like it at all.
              In the heat of Pennsic sun, the fletchings
              can literally slide around on the shaft. I tried the beads of glue trick
              and they stuck only where the glue was and began seperating everywhere
              else. I suppose if you are using very small fletchings and only shooting
              in moderate climates, it might work. But I will never use it again.
              It never dries, it's just like scotchtape, a similar adhesive.
              That fast drying fletch-tite sticks like a demon and is real
              quick. I own 12 jigs, I still use Duco.
              -Geoffrei

            • Nest verch Tangwistel
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 22, 2003
                I also don't like the tape much. The only time I used it the feathers
                stayed attached to the shaft, but the angle they stuck out changed every
                time they leaned up against something. I jsut like my fletchings to be
                less mobile than that.

                Nest
                --- jrosswebb1@... wrote:
                > Greetings,
                > I've used the tape. I don't like it at all.
                > In the heat of Pennsic sun, the fletchings
                > can literally slide around on the shaft. I tried the beads of glue trick
                > and they stuck only where the glue was and began seperating everywhere
                > else. I suppose if you are using very small fletchings and only shooting
                > in moderate climates, it might work. But I will never use it again.
                > It never dries, it's just like scotchtape, a similar adhesive.
                > That fast drying fletch-tite sticks like a demon and is real
                > quick. I own 12 jigs, I still use Duco.
                > -Geoffrei
                >

                > http://community.webtv.net/jrosswebb1/EASTWINDStribal

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • Frederick Fenters
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 23, 2003
                  I have not used the tape myself and have heard mixed reviews. Some
                  swear by it and some swear at it. It sounds like one of those things to
                  keep in the field kit for on-the-spot repairs to keep a minimum amount
                  of arrows shootable.

                  I will comment that fletch tape does sound to be a solution to the need
                  to put together a lot of shafts quickly. The glue dots at the ends and
                  the seam of glue along the sides of the tape need not be done in the jig
                  and thus would not affect the time there or the accuracy of the feather
                  placement.

                  Well I planned to put in two cents worth and gave a nickle instead.

                  Padraig MacRaighne
                • John Edgerton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 23, 2003
                    Frederick Fenters wrote:

                    >I have not used the tape myself and have heard mixed reviews. Some
                    >swear by it and some swear at it. It sounds like one of those things to
                    >keep in the field kit for on-the-spot repairs to keep a minimum amount
                    >of arrows shootable.
                    >
                    >I will comment that fletch tape does sound to be a solution to the need
                    >to put together a lot of shafts quickly. The glue dots at the ends and
                    >the seam of glue along the sides of the tape need not be done in the jig
                    >and thus would not affect the time there or the accuracy of the feather
                    >placement.

                    That is the way I do mine. I add the glue after I have put all three
                    fletches on the shaft. There fore gluing does not increase the time in
                    the jig.

                    Jon