Footed Arrows

  • kad@idsi.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 18, 1999
      I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find
      anything on my particular question.
      I'm looking for information on makeing footed arrows.
      In particular, has anybody come up with a jig to get the
      taper on the end of the main shaft cut evenly? The hardwood foot
      is fairly easy to get even, but I'm having trouble with the shaft.
      I have the Longbow CA and a couple of books, they don't have any
      sort of jigs.

      Kean
    • Keith Hood
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 18, 1999

        >In particular, has anybody come up with a jig to get the
        >taper on the end of the main shaft cut evenly? The hardwood foot
        >is fairly easy to get even, but I'm having trouble with the shaft.

        Rather than cutting the taper, you'd probably have better luck using a
        vertical belt sander. It would be real simple to rig two posts at the right
        angle to guide sanding the wood to the correct taper.

        Tomonama

        --
        A long bow and a strong bow,
        And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
        By Robert E. Howard, who should be
        the patron saint of Ansteorra
      • Jack Bradley
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 18, 1999
          Get an end mill the same degree as your arrow head tapering tool . Taper the
          shaft as nominal . Use the end mill as a drill on the footed part. It's
          easier with a lathe but can be drilled by hand if you're careful
          Ragnar Two Ax
          kad@... wrote:

          > From: kad@...
          >
          > I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find
          > anything on my particular question.
          > I'm looking for information on makeing footed arrows.
          > In particular, has anybody come up with a jig to get the
          > taper on the end of the main shaft cut evenly? The hardwood foot
          > is fairly easy to get even, but I'm having trouble with the shaft.
          > I have the Longbow CA and a couple of books, they don't have any
          > sort of jigs.
          >
          > Kean

        • Leonard & Patty Baldt
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 19, 1999
            Hello:
            In the recent issue, Dec/Jan 2000, of "Traditional Bowhunter" magazine there
            is a nice article entitled "How to Make a Four Wing Footed Arrow." Hope
            this helps.
            Patty Baldt

            kad@... wrote:

            > From: kad@...
            >
            > I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find
            > anything on my particular question.
            > I'm looking for information on makeing footed arrows.
            > In particular, has anybody come up with a jig to get the
            > taper on the end of the main shaft cut evenly? The hardwood foot
            > is fairly easy to get even, but I'm having trouble with the shaft.
            > I have the Longbow CA and a couple of books, they don't have any
            > sort of jigs.
            >
            > Kean

          • D Humberson
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 19, 1999
              Ragnar,

              Do you have a source for such end mills? I have access to a lathe with a
              4-jaw chuck, but the only quote I got for a 5 degree taper tool was $83!

              Ragnar Ketilsson

              >From: Jack Bradley <ragnar@...>
              >To: SCA-Archery@onelist.com
              >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Footed Arrows
              >Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:53:25 -0500
              >
              >Get an end mill the same degree as your arrow head tapering tool . Taper
              >the
              >shaft as nominal . Use the end mill as a drill on the footed part. It's
              >easier with a lathe but can be drilled by hand if you're careful
              >Ragnar Two Ax
            • Alberic
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 19, 1999
                Greetings:

                I got a 5 Deg taper end mill for reaming bolt-head sockets from either
                MSC in Atlanta, or PTS in Detroit, for about...?$30 or so?.
                MSC-1800645-7270 The 5Deg tapermills are on pages 518-519 of the
                current catalog, ask them to fax them to you. (Prices really vary
                depending on size and cut length, so I can't give you anything specific.)
                PTS (Production Tool Supply) is in Detroit. They're almost certain to be
                cheaper than MSC. The website that will give you a phone number is
                http://www.pts-tools.com/
                If you can get MSC to fax you the catalog pages, you can probably use
                the same specs to get a quote from PTS....

                Hope this helps,
                Alberic
              • Francois Leclerc
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 19, 1999
                  > I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find anything on
                  > my particular question. I'm looking for information on makeing footed
                  > arrows. In particular, has anybody come up with a jig to get the taper on
                  > the end of the main shaft cut evenly? The hardwood foot is fairly easy to
                  > get even, but I'm having trouble with the shaft. I have the Longbow CA and
                  > a couple of books, they don't have any sort of jigs.

                  I know TDD has a a section on footed arrows as well as techniques on how
                  to make then and a jig for a four-prong footed arow to use with a band saw.
                  The technique for making two prong footed arrow is well described and
                  pretty simple. The four prong is a little more involved and would require
                  manual dexterity (fine), a VERY sharp saw (maybe the kind to cut veneer),
                  and patience.

                  One jig you make wish to make is to drill at an angle into a piece of wood
                  the diameter of your arrow. This hole would come out on the side of your
                  piece of wood for the length and at the angle that you wish to cut. Place a
                  pice of brass of other soft metal on the side in order not to cut your arrow
                  shaft too far. In short that would be it. I could always write a longer and
                  more precise tutorial (Now that's another project, like if I needed another
                  one.) and post that on the Web.

                  Any how, I make a little graphic that I am appending to the EMail (if it is
                  possible) depicting what I mean. The more technically inclined will guess a
                  lot out of that.

                  Francois Leclerc

                  If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,

                    > Rather than cutting the taper, you'd probably have better luck using
                    > vertical belt sander. It would be real simple to rig two posts at
                    > the right
                    > angle to guide sanding the wood to the correct taper.

                    Tomonama,
                    I'd thought of that, along with doing somethign similar on a
                    bandsaw, but I'd really prefer to do it with hand tools if at all
                    possible.

                    Kean

                    =====
                    Ad Loc, Ad Hoc, Quid Pro Pro. So Little Time. So Much To Know.
                  • Keith Hood
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 19, 1999

                      > I'd thought of that, along with doing somethign similar on a
                      >bandsaw, but I'd really prefer to do it with hand tools if at all
                      >possible.

                      *Hand* tools? Wow, dedication. Good luck. I think you'll wind up having
                      to spend a heck of a lot of time hand-sanding the tapers and trying the fit.

                      How's this for an alternative: Use a long plane, upside down, in a clamp so
                      it holds still. Then make a jig by cutting a triangle of wood with the
                      hypotenuse angled from the base at the same angle you want on the end of the
                      shaft. Cut an inch or so off the lower corner of the jig for jack blade
                      clearance, so you actually wind up with a 4-sided fig. Strap the shaft to
                      the hypotenuse surface of the jig, and use it as a guide to pass the end of
                      the shaft over the blade of the plane. Multiple passes would obviously be
                      necessary.

                      Since the hypotenuse wouldn't go all the way down to the slide of the plane,
                      the last inch or so of the shaft would be unsupported. Make sure you use a
                      scrap of wood to back the shaft, so it doesn't bend when you pass it over
                      the blade.

                      Tomonaga

                      (I managed to misspell my own name last time - I was having a bad brain
                      day.)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 19, 1999
                        Definitely does.

                        I picked up a set of replica bronze javelin points at the war, and just
                        found a source for 7/16 ash doweling who'll let me cherrypick his stock.
                        Can you say thrown weapons?( oops, different list...;->

                        Ragnar

                        >From: Alberic <alberic@...>
                        >To: SCA-Archery@onelist.com
                        >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Footed Arrows
                        >Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 06:51:37 -0800
                        >
                        >Greetings:
                        >
                        >I got a 5 Deg taper end mill for reaming bolt-head sockets from either
                        >MSC in Atlanta, or PTS in Detroit, for about...?$30 or so?.
                        >MSC-1800645-7270 The 5Deg tapermills are on pages 518-519 of the
                        >current catalog, ask them to fax them to you. (Prices really vary
                        >depending on size and cut length, so I can't give you anything specific.)
                        >PTS (Production Tool Supply) is in Detroit. They're almost certain to be
                        >cheaper than MSC. The website that will give you a phone number is
                        >http://www.pts-tools.com/
                        >If you can get MSC to fax you the catalog pages, you can probably use
                        >the same specs to get a quote from PTS....
                        >
                        >Hope this helps,
                        >Alberic

                        ><< text3.html >>
                      • Keith Dombrowski
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 19, 1999
                          --- Jack Bradley <ragnar@...> wrote:
                          > Get an end mill the same degree as your arrow head tapering tool .
                          > Taper the
                          > shaft as nominal . Use the end mill as a drill on the footed part.
                          > It's
                          > easier with a lathe but can be drilled by hand if you're careful
                          > Ragnar Two Ax

                          Ragnar,
                          Ok, I'll bite. What's an end-mill and where would I get one?

                          Keith

                          Ad Loc, Ad Hoc, Quid Pro Pro. So Little Time. So Much To Know.

                          Bid and sell for free at Yahoo! Auctions.
                        • Mike O'Toole
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 20, 1999
                            There is an article on the Primiative Archer webpage about making footed
                            nocks. There is also a picture of a jig from which I designed a jig to make
                            the tail of a fishtail splice on an arrow shaft for a two point footing.

                            The address is:

                            http://www.primitivearcher.com/pages/articles/secnocks.html

                            Thanks for reminding me about this great site, loots of new articles to look
                            over.

                            Michael O'Byrne

                            > I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find
                            > anything on my particular question.
                            > I'm looking for information on makeing footed arrows.
                            > In particular, has anybody come up with a jig to get the
                            > taper on the end of the main shaft cut evenly? The hardwood foot
                            > is fairly easy to get even, but I'm having trouble with the shaft.
                            > I have the Longbow CA and a couple of books, they don't have any
                            > sort of jigs.
                            >
                            > Kean
                          • Jack Bradley
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 22, 1999
                              Travers Tool Co has 5 degree tapers for about $ 15.00 1-800-221-0270. I
                              think the catalog is free.
                              Drill a 1/8 pilot hole about 1/16 -1/8 deeper than the taper to make room for
                              glue. I've been using gap filling crazy glue can't document it but it works.
                              Good luck
                              Ragnar

                              D Humberson wrote:

                              > From: "D Humberson" <dhumbers@...>
                              >
                              > Ragnar,
                              >
                              > Do you have a source for such end mills? I have access to a lathe with a
                              > 4-jaw chuck, but the only quote I got for a 5 degree taper tool was $83!
                              >
                              > Ragnar Ketilsson
                              >
                              > >From: Jack Bradley <ragnar@...>
                              > >To: SCA-Archery@onelist.com
                              > >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Footed Arrows
                              > >Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:53:25 -0500
                              > >
                              > >Get an end mill the same degree as your arrow head tapering tool . Taper
                              > >the
                              > >shaft as nominal . Use the end mill as a drill on the footed part. It's
                              > >easier with a lathe but can be drilled by hand if you're careful
                              > >Ragnar Two Ax

                            • D Humberson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 22, 1999
                                Thanks much! I want the tool for truing javelin head sockets, and that
                                price is good enough I don't care if 4 javelin heads dulls the tool.

                                Ragnar Ketilsson