Whistling Arrows

  • Janet <janetvanmeter@columbus.rr.com>
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 17, 2003
      We've had some really good ideas on flaming arrows, how about
      whistling arrows?
      Lady Erriil
    • Ken Muller <gusarimagic@rinternet.com>
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 17, 2003
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Janet <janetvanmeter@c...>"
        <janetvanmeter@c...> wrote:
        > We've had some really good ideas on flaming arrows, how about
        > whistling arrows?
        > Lady Erriil

        Just shoot an arrow through a privy -- you will get plenty of
        whistling.

        Kinjal
      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 17, 2003
          Try ping pong balls, the good quality ones. Draw three equilateral
          triangles, about 1/2 high, with their points up, equal distant around
          the equator with their base on the equator.. Then take an exato knife
          and cut them out. Then heat the metal point of your arrow hot enough to
          melt through the ball and push it through from one pole to the other.
          Then secure in place with some tape or hot melt where the shaft goes
          through. The points of the triangles should point toward the arrow head.
          I suggest good quality ping balls because they do not break as easily.

          Jon

          Janet wrote:

          >We've had some really good ideas on flaming arrows, how about
          >whistling arrows?
          > Lady Erriil
          >

          >---

        • Greg Christensen
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 17, 2003
            There is a specailly made tip that whistles. I sell them for $8.00 a peice
            or you can order them from Quicks in England (if they have them in stock)
            They took several months to send me the batch that I have. The tips glue on
            a staight 5/16 shaft and have a screw off head to clean when it gets dirt in
            the holes.

            Period heads were made out of horn or wood and were good for one shot since
            they would break when they hit something hard like the ground.

            GREGGE the ARCHER

            >From: "Janet <janetvanmeter@...>"
            ><janetvanmeter@...>
            >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Whistling Arrows
            >Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:05:08 -0000
            >
            >We've had some really good ideas on flaming arrows, how about
            >whistling arrows?
            > Lady Erriil

          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 17, 2003
              Greg Christensen wrote:

              >There is a specailly made tip that whistles. I sell them for $8.00 a peice
              >or you can order them from Quicks in England (if they have them in stock)
              >They took several months to send me the batch that I have. The tips glue on
              >a staight 5/16 shaft and have a screw off head to clean when it gets dirt in
              >the holes.
              >
              >Period heads were made out of horn or wood and were good for one shot since
              >they would break when they hit something hard like the ground.

              Some of the Eastern style whistling heads were placed down the shaft
              behind the actual head, the shaft passing through the whistle, so that
              they would not be damaged on impact. The actual head would strike and
              stick. The ping pong whistles work the same way.

            • oscarpoehler <oscar@sfrcs-sabis.net>
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 18, 2003
                Greetings!

                I am a visitor from the Siege arena. I was interested in whistling
                arrows as well. I would like to make my Ballista javelins whistle.
                I have had success with the pennywhistle type od noisemaker. I cut
                the base of a javelin and inserted blocks to make it a whistle, but
                it just isn't very loud. I have the instructions and some pictures
                for making the golfball arrow whistle, but it is just not suitable.
                Looking at some of the pictures detailing period examples of large
                whistles I saw some that looked longer and oblong. One that I saw
                looked very like a plastic soda bottle with the neck down towards the
                fletching and the nubbly bottom at the front, with the whistle ports
                between the knobs. Has anyone made an arrow whistle like this?

                Oskar der Drachen auf Klaagenfurt
                Siege Marshal and Engineer
                Freehold of Riverkeep
                East Kingdom
              • John Edgerton
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 19, 2003
                  oscarpoehler wrote:

                  >Greetings!
                  >
                  >I am a visitor from the Siege arena. I was interested in whistling
                  >arrows as well. I would like to make my Ballista javelins whistle.
                  >I have had success with the pennywhistle type od noisemaker. I cut
                  >the base of a javelin and inserted blocks to make it a whistle, but
                  >it just isn't very loud. I have the instructions and some pictures
                  >for making the golfball arrow whistle,

                  How does one make a golfball arrow whistle?

                  Jon

                  > but it is just not suitable.
                  >Looking at some of the pictures detailing period examples of large
                  >whistles I saw some that looked longer and oblong. One that I saw
                  >looked very like a plastic soda bottle with the neck down towards the
                  >fletching and the nubbly bottom at the front, with the whistle ports
                  >between the knobs. Has anyone made an arrow whistle like this?
                  >
                  >Oskar der Drachen auf Klaagenfurt
                  >Siege Marshal and Engineer
                  >Freehold of Riverkeep
                  >East Kingdom

                • Oscar
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 19, 2003
                    On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:34:29 -0800
                    John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

                    I have to really apologise, I meant to write ping-pong ball
                    instead of golfball. I was thinking about too many things
                    at once I guess.

                    Do you have the instructions for a ping-pong ball arrow
                    whistle?

                    I am at home for the week on vacation, but Monday morning I
                    can forward the instructions for the ping-pong whistle.

                    Oskar
                  • John Edgerton
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 20, 2003
                      Oscar wrote:

                      >On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:34:29 -0800
                      > John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >I have to really apologise, I meant to write ping-pong ball
                      >instead of golfball. I was thinking about too many things
                      >at once I guess.
                      >
                      >Do you have the instructions for a ping-pong ball arrow
                      >whistle?

                      The folowing is an article on their history.
                      http://snt.student.utwente.nl/~sagi/artikel/whistle/

                      And this is the short article of mine on construction them from
                      ping-pong balls.

                      Jon

                      WHISTLING ARROWHEADS

                      WHISTLING ARROWHEADS by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf

                      I have found a method of making inexpensive whistling arrowheads. The
                      latest issue of Primitive Archer magazine (vol.4, issue 3) had a letter
                      from a reader with information on how to make them from ping pong (table
                      tennis) balls.

                      After reading the letter, I purchased a pack of six for four dollars.
                      You should use good quality balls and not the children's type, for they
                      will not break as easily. They can break, but they do not shatter. They
                      produce a loud clear whistle and are easy to make.

                      You should first make the two holes for the shaft. These holes should be
                      centered through the axis of the ball. Mark the center of the holes, and
                      then use a field tip, mounted on a six-inch section of the diameter
                      shaft you wish to use for the whistling arrowhead, to make the hole.
                      This is done by heating the tip over the burner of a stove. Gently push
                      the point of the tip into the ball till it is just short of its widest
                      point. This will make a snug fit.

                      To make the whistling holes you need to mark out four equally spaced
                      triangles, 3/8 tall by 1/4 wide, base down. The base should be half way
                      down from the top of the ball, pointing up. You now heat the X-acto
                      knife and use it to melt the lines for the triangles.

                      You should slide the head about four inches past the point of the arrow,
                      so that it can clear whatever it hits. You may also want to use a longer
                      shaft, so that you will still be at full draw when the ball touches your
                      bow. Glue it in place, top and bottom. Fletchtite works well. If you
                      make these up as flu flus, they will not travel as far and will be
                      easier for you to find.

                      If you make up a set of these and have several archers loose them
                      simultaneously and at a high angle and you will have an ArcherU's
                      salute. You must make sure, in advance, that the area where they will
                      land is clear and safe.

                      I have tried adding them to 1 1/4-inch head wood shaft combat blunts,
                      mounting them about four inches below the head. They work, but are not
                      as loud. This seems to be due to the turbulence caused by the large
                      blunt. They do work quite well with 3/4 inch blunts. If you have any
                      better success in adding them to combat blunts, please let me know.

                      Do not use these in actual combat unless you have the approval of your
                      kingdom marshal. I would also recommend taping the ball or coating it
                      with tool dip.

                      >I am at home for the week on vacation, but Monday morning I
                      >can forward the instructions for the ping-pong whistle.
                      >
                      >Oskar

                    • Marcin Marszeniuk
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 28, 2004
                        I have some whistling points, they are the same design and quality like the one's
                        Quicks sells.
                        They are 4.00$ a piece if sold in small quantities. If you want more
                        then 50, the price is negotiable.

                        Best regards,
                        Marcin Marszeniuk mailto:natas@...

                        Best regards,
                        Marcin mailto:natas@...
                        ICQ: 26041077
                      • John edgerton
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 28, 2004
                          What would the price, with shipping, be for six of them sent to the
                          Oakland CA area? And how soon could you ship them after receiving the
                          check? Where are you located? Will they , like the Quicks points fit
                          on either 5/16 or 11/32 wood shafts?

                          Thanks

                          Jon

                          On Saturday, February 28, 2004, at 01:23 AM, Marcin Marszeniuk wrote:

                          > I have some whistling points, they are the same design and quality
                          > like the one's
                          > Quicks sells.
                          > They are 4.00$ a piece if sold in small quantities. If you want more
                          > then 50, the price is negotiable.
                          >

                          > Best regards,
                          > Marcin Marszeniuk mailto:natas@...
                          >

                          > Best regards,
                          > Marcin mailto:natas@...
                          > ICQ: 26041077

                        • Dan Scheid
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 29, 2004
                            do you have web page pic up?
                            Damales

                            > I have some whistling points, they are the same design and quality like
                            the one's
                            > Quicks sells.
                            > They are 4.00$ a piece if sold in small quantities. If you want more
                            > then 50, the price is negotiable.
                            >

                            > Best regards,
                            > Marcin Marszeniuk mailto:natas@...
                            >

                            > Best regards,
                            > Marcin mailto:natas@...
                            > ICQ: 26041077

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Marcin Marszeniuk
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 29, 2004
                              Unfortunately, my page is down. I can either send you some photos or
                              you can see the whistling point on web page of Eagle Classic
                              Archery - http://www.eagleclassicarchery.co.uk/arrows.htm , where I
                              sold some of them.

                              Best regards,
                              Marcin mailto:natas@...
                            • Marcin Marszeniuk
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 29, 2004
                                Je> What would the price, with shipping, be for six of them sent to the
                                Je> Oakland CA area? And how soon could you ship them after receiving the
                                Je> check? Where are you located? Will they , like the Quicks points fit
                                Je> on either 5/16 or 11/32 wood shafts?

                                Greetings from Gdansk, Poland.
                                It would be 24$ for points and 5$ for shipping (the same up to 20
                                pieces). Delivery in six work days from sending, I can send them the
                                same day I get payment, I have couple hundreds in stock.
                                The point is almost the same construction as Quicks ones. It fits
                                5/16 shafts without any tappering done (parallel fit). 11/32 ones you
                                need to tapper parallely to 5/16.

                                Best regards,
                                Marcin mailto:natas@...
                              • Janet
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 25, 2008
                                  Has anyone here used these arrow points from 3Rivers Archery?
                                  http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=53&s=10&p=0&i=WPX
                                  If so, what did you think of them?
                                  Erriil
                                • blooney@wi.rr.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 25, 2008
                                    Lady Erril

                                    I have some similiar that I ordered from Quicks in the UK. We use them on our Baronial arrows to announce the beginning of our archery events. A dozen launched at once on a clout shoot does make a quite a screech!

                                    Compared to the UK price - $4.50 is not bad! It doesn't state in the description, but make sure that they are two piece. It makes it much easier to be able to unscrew and clean out the whistling portion when it gets filled with dirt.

                                    William of Mann
                                    Barony of Caer Anterh Mawr
                                    Northshield

                                    ---- Janet <janetvanmeter@...> wrote:

                                    =============
                                    Has anyone here used these arrow points from 3Rivers Archery?
                                    http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=53&s=10&p=0&i=WPX
                                    If so, what did you think of them?
                                    Erriil
                                  • Keith Crawley
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 25, 2008
                                      I have a couple just for show and to thrill the newbies now and then.. They
                                      are ok but not something I would use very often.. shoot them about a dozen
                                      times a year give or take.

                                      Percival

                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 27, 2008
                                          When Janet put fingers to keys it was 5/25/08 9:37 AM...

                                          > Has anyone here used these arrow points from 3Rivers Archery?
                                          > http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=53&s=10&p=0&i=WPX
                                          > If so, what did you think of them?
                                          > Erriil

                                          You can get some of the effect by drilling an 1/8" hole in a
                                          conventional field point.
                                          Drill the hole at about 45˚to the axis of the head with its center near
                                          the edge (a hair less than 1/16"). This will leave a sharp edge facing
                                          forward on the outside edge of the hole. Drill all the way in to the
                                          socket hole. The whistle will be a little high and thin, if you trim the
                                          shaft shorter at the tip to give the whistle a larger chamber, it will
                                          be better.

                                          I have done this.

                                          --
                                          Fritz
                                          Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 27, 2008
                                            Yes. Although they were marked for 11/32, I found I had to sand the
                                            end of the shaft just a tad to get them to fit correctly. Also, even
                                            though it doesn't say screw on but rather glue on, I found a twisting
                                            motion moves them on the shaft, thus they appear to be screw on. But
                                            all in all, they center very nicely, very important for a whistling
                                            tip to actually whistle. I recommend carrying a small nail with you
                                            to clean out the "stuff" that will get jammed in the point after
                                            striking whatever surface. They are great fun as a novelty item.
                                            Believe me, when you fire one of these arrows, every archer on the
                                            line stops, looks and starts asking questions. Great fun!

                                            cog

                                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Janet" <janetvanmeter@...> wrote:

                                            > Has anyone here used these arrow points from 3Rivers Archery?
                                            > http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=53&s=10&p=0&i=WPX
                                            > If so, what did you think of them?
                                            > Erriil

                                          • Janet
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 27, 2008
                                              I also found I needed to sand/slightly taper the very end of the shaft
                                              to fit them on, even with the 5/16. I'll be carrying a small allen
                                              wrench in the archery gear for cleaning the whistles of dirt.
                                              And thank you all for responding! I'm looking forward to trying these
                                              out in the field.
                                              Erriil

                                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins"
                                              <cogworks@...> wrote:

                                              > Yes. Although they were marked for 11/32, I found I had to sand the
                                              end of the shaft just a tad to get them to fit correctly. Also, even
                                              though it doesn't say screw on but rather glue on, I found a twisting
                                              motion moves them on the shaft, thus they appear to be screw on. But
                                              all in all, they center very nicely, very important for a whistling
                                              tip to actually whistle. I recommend carrying a small nail with you
                                              to clean out the "stuff" that will get jammed in the point after
                                              striking whatever surface. They are great fun as a novelty item.
                                              Believe me, when you fire one of these arrows, every archer on the
                                              line stops, looks and starts asking questions. Great fun!

                                              > cog

                                            • John edgerton
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 29, 2008
                                                Fritz

                                                Any chance you could write this up with a photo or drawing and put it
                                                in the files section for easy future reference.

                                                Jon