Re: the line of fire

  • Daniel Stratton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2003
      > By accepting an apprenticeship I put myself in the line of fire. And
      > when I was put on vigil a week later I was not ready. As I was shaking my
      > head no... Queen Alys leaned toward me and said "be quiet and smile" And
      > realized that a lot of people wanted me to be a Laurel and how could hurt
      > all their feeling by not accepting. Being gracious is part of what the
      SCA
      > is.
      >
      > James Cunningham
      > OL in Archery and Huntsmanship

      Sorry, James, that's not when you put yourself in the line of fire. You
      started that some years ago, maybe as far back as that Gwyntarian event,
      when you shot better than some of us hot shots, the first time I met you.
      Your apprenticeship was doomed to be short; we (many of us) had been working
      on your Laurel for quite a few months. The wheels grind very slowly in our
      Kingdom. I'm glad you accepted your apprenticeship when you did, actually,
      it showed publicly you were working towards what we already knew. Certainly,
      it made a few of us smile. You weren't really planning on one of those seven
      year ones, were you?
      Of course, now you are obligated to pay that sort of attention to others, as
      well. Payback is a funny thing, in our game, eh?
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
      OP, Midrealm Forester