String talk

  • Marko Peussa
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2003
      Date,

      In case you are using full or partial hemp string, the kusune is needed. If
      not, you don't have to use it. Personally, I don't know anyone here in
      Finland using a full hemp string. Some advanced shooters have tried them but
      they break easily and are very expensive. We have several people who use
      Kevlar/hemp mixture strings with kusune. The reason for using hemp is that
      it throws the arrow faster than Kevlar.

      At least for Heki Ryu Insai Ha, beginners start with Kevlar strings. Kevlar
      strings come in a coil. After clipping the tapes off, you will have to be
      very careful when opening up the string coil. If you just pull the string
      straight, you will get many kinks to your string. These are always weak
      spots.

      To avoid this, just hang the string from one end and let if come to straight
      shape by it's own weight. This may take a day or two.

      The quick and dirty way is to uncoil the string by hand, puling it slowly
      open while simultaneously rotating the string so that it opens up in a easy
      way. Do not force it open. While rotating, try to keep the strands closed at
      all times. Don't let kinks appear.

      It is almost impossible to get a coiled string open without a kink, no
      matter what you do.

      When the string is uncoiled, attach the top end of the string to the top end
      of the bow, pull it carefully straight while rotating the string from the
      foot end if necessary. You need to rotate it so that all strands are closed
      but not so much that the string will develop kinks.

      Every time you string the bow, remember to repeat the twisting of the foot
      end so that the strands will stay snugly closed. The string will stretch
      somewhat when shooting, so it is necessary to twist it back just before next
      stringing. The twisting will also help you to keep the string lenght the
      same from practice to practice. Of course, you will measure the distance
      between the bow handle and string after every stringing.

      The normal way to store the string in use is to keep it attached to the bow.
      Unstring the bow from the foot end, but keep the top end of the string
      attached. Roll the string loosely a couple of times around the bow and
      secure the foot end of the string to the foot end of the bow with for
      example a rubber band.

      Tsur_u_maki is used for holding a spare string, which has been prepared and
      is ready for use. The spare string is rolled only once into the tsurumaki
      and only once out. Repeated rolling in-out of the tsurumaki may cause the
      string to develop kinks.

      It is quite normal for a kyudo string to break. I have broken about five
      Kevlar strings last year. The breakage points are typically at the nock,
      near the top, or near the foot. If you have a lousy technique and a strong
      bow (in kyudo a 30 pound bow is considered strong for a beginner), you'll
      break a lot of strings. There are of course strings that last longer than
      others, you can see it directly from the prize. For the cheap ones you get
      typically 400 - 1000 shots before breakage.

      So, try to avoid the kinks as much as possible to extend your string life.

      Regards,

      Klaus