Shoots I like, part 2, the bridge battle.

  • Chris Nogy
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 1999
      This one takes some more preparation, and you have to build special targets.
      They are a little complicated, but they are very neat and can be built with a
      minimum of toolsl (basic hand-held power tools, like a scrollsaw and a power
      drill)

      For this shoot ! built 7 targets. They are set up in a line and a skirting of
      cardboard is staked in front of them at about a yard to protect the mechanism.

      These targets are mechanical, driven by bungee cords. They stand about man
      height, and centered at chest height is a 10 inch disk of target foam attached
      to a rocker (I will post drawings for the targets on the Onelist file area
      soon). On the top of the target is a set of 2 helmets, cut from 1/4 inch
      plywood, and eggcrated together so that they form an x when viewed from the
      top. One of these helmets is painted bright blue on both sides, one is painted
      bright red on both sides.

      When an archer hits the target, the rocker releases the shaft in the target,
      and the helmet assembly turns 1/4 turn. In other words, each time the archer
      hits the target, a different color is visible on the helmet.

      These targets represent men on the bridge.

      Start with an odd number of targets. For this example, I will use 7. I set
      three targets so the blue helmet is facing the archers, and 4 so the red helmet
      is facing the archers. I do this when the skill of both teams is judged to be
      approximately equal.

      The defenders have the extra man on the bridge.

      Set up a number of shooting lanes that is less than the number of men on the
      smallest team. Each lane will hold 2 archers, one from each side. Archers
      that are not on the line must stand 3 paces behind the line.

      Each archer can have as many arrows as they want on the field, but they can
      only bring 3 arrows with them to the line each time

      When the lay-on is called, all archers begin to fire, with the goal of
      capturing the bridge by hitting the targets as needed so that all the same
      color helmets face the archers. As soon as an archer runs out of arrows, he
      can go get more from his stash, but he must leave the line and one of the
      waiting archers will fill in the open hole.

      A time limit of 90 or 120 seconds is usually OK, with the team that controls
      the biggest percentage of the bridge winning if neither team gets all the
      targets to their color.

      If there is a large discrepancy in the skill of the teams, handicaps can be
      added by the initial set up of the targets.

      Each team should have a commander who can plan strategy and place archers.

      To make it more interesting, you can specify that each time a bridge is
      captured, the competition doesn't end, only those members of the losing side
      who are ON THE LINE AT THE TIME OF THE LOSS are dead. If the commander has
      held some reserve troops, that side still has a chance. In this scenario, take
      off the time limit, and fight till the last man is dead, or give one
      resurrection or two, lots of different applications.

      I will have the target plans up on the Onelist site sometime this weekend.

      Next, the Dresden Bird

      Kaz