Mongolian Variations

  • Ken Muller <gusarimagic@rinternet.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      Excellent sites, Guy. Many thanks. However, my research into Golden
      Hoard fighting, and later adaptations during the development of the
      famous Hungarian bow from its Assyrian/Scythian heritage, indicates
      that Mongolian horsemen carried two bows. The long one uses long
      arrows as described and were pulled far back. The shorter bow,
      often fired from horseback and over the shoulder, used shorter
      arrows (even hollow reed ones)and were pulled to the chin. So don't
      get 'bent' over any need to gather 34" arrows. Use the same 30"
      ones you have. Since you will work on 'instictive' shooting rather
      than aiming, it will not matter -- just be consistent.

      Also, thumb rings in bone and brass are available that have a string
      slot carved near the rear edge. This simplifies the 'consistency'
      setting and minimizes any tearing of the thumb. It also should be
      noted that the Mongolian Release does not require a protective guard
      on the bow hand, and that a buckler or arm shield can easily be
      carried (worn).

      Kinjal
    • Hal B. Clark
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
        The bow variation listed below is the cause of the mongol useing the arrow
        rest which was attached to the list. With this rest, the bowman was able to
        shoot the short arrows designed for his horse bow with his longer draw
        footmans recurve.
        Walk Tall
        Baron Caomh

        Ken Muller wrote:

        > Excellent sites, Guy. Many thanks. However, my research into Golden
        > Hoard fighting, and later adaptations during the development of the
        > famous Hungarian bow from its Assyrian/Scythian heritage, indicates
        > that Mongolian horsemen carried two bows. The long one uses long
        > arrows as described and were pulled far back. The shorter bow,
        > often fired from horseback and over the shoulder, used shorter
        > arrows (even hollow reed ones)and were pulled to the chin. So don't
        > get 'bent' over any need to gather 34" arrows. Use the same 30"
        > ones you have. Since you will work on 'instictive' shooting rather
        > than aiming, it will not matter -- just be consistent.
        >
        > Also, thumb rings in bone and brass are available that have a string
        > slot carved near the rear edge. This simplifies the 'consistency'
        > setting and minimizes any tearing of the thumb. It also should be
        > noted that the Mongolian Release does not require a protective guard
        > on the bow hand, and that a buckler or arm shield can easily be
        > carried (worn).
        >
        > Kinjal

      • Guy Taylor
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
          While I have an Asian style bow I haven't put a lot of time into it lately.
          When I do, arrows will be no problem. The blanks I start with are either
          36" or 48" so getting a nice long arrow for a proper draw is easy.

          Guy