shoots I like - part 1, the banner capture

  • Chris Nogy
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 1999
      Here is a series of shoots that I like, shoots that I feel bring interest and
      bonding to our sport, team shoots that give everyone a chance and really
      inspire the best shooters to teach the others more skill, and individual shoots
      that give an archer a chance to do something pretty cool without resorting to
      modern competitions.

      The first is a team shoot, the banner capture.

      Archers form 2 teams

      The targets can be made of cardboard refrigerator boxes, cut and taped at their
      edges to make a rectangle about 3 x 6, 4 layers thick. These are taped to
      pieces of 1/2 inch EMT conduit, which are staked into the ground by ropes and
      big nails to hold the boards in an upright position.

      Mark 8 spots (2 columns, 4 rows) on the targets. Use 8 inch baloons of
      different colors, and with roofing tab nails tack them to the boards at the
      spots.

      I use 7 or 9 boards, more makes it more fun. Set them up side-by-side in a
      straight line.

      Number the boards sequentially at the top with large numbers.

      On the two end boards, place a flag or banner of a different color. The teams
      each pick a color, and they gather on their color's side of the centerline of
      the range.

      To start the shoot, choose a random range (whatever you feel is good for your
      site) and set up a line. Have the teams arrange the archers in a shooting
      order, and form 2 single file lines of archers (one on either side of the
      center line of the range, according to color)

      The first 2 archers step to the line. The marshal announces the balloon on the
      center board that will be the first target. Then the line is cleared, and the
      archers are allowed to shoot at will for the target. When the baloon is
      broken, both archers go to the back of their respective line, and the next two
      archers step forward.

      Say, for example, that the flags are red and blue. If the red team breaks the
      first balloon, the marshal picks a balloon on the next target toward the blue
      flag, and the next pair of archers shoots until one breaks that balloon. If it
      is broken by another red team member, then the shoot advances with the next two
      archers shooting at the next target toward the blue banner. If a blue team
      member breaks the balloon, the shoot advances with the next two archers
      shooting on the next board toward the red flag (in this case, the center board
      again). Each time a baloon is popped, the competition advances 1 board toward
      the opposing team's banner, and the marshal announces the next balloon to be
      shot.

      Every time a balloon is broken, the next pair of archers (one attacking, one
      defending) moves up to the line.

      The object of the game is to for one side or the other to shoot enough baloons
      in a row to reach the end board, and when the end board is reached, to capture
      the flag by breaking the declared balloon.

      In this way everybody gets a lot of chance to compete, and if the sides are
      uneven by 1 person, each person gets to shoot against everybody else if the
      shoot runs long enough. Balloons are interactive, but the team aspect fo this
      shoot keeps a lot of interest, and the best archers will assist their teammates
      to get better in order to help win.

      Next, the bridge battle.

      Kaz