Re: [SCA-Archery] brace heigth and proper stance

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
      Greetings Luke and other lurking archers from James Cunningham

      A sweet shooting bow is like a guitar that tunes good it is elusive and very
      subjective. Any archer that has shot enough bows will find one that he
      likes and can split arrows with. I have one... a "Six Gold" made in the
      60's 36LB 9 inches of brace height shot by the Texas State Field Archery
      Champion from Lubbock, TX. It has cracks at the nocks but I have not gotten
      rid of it hoping that I can fix it. No hand shock, arrows go to the same
      place every time, shoot any size arrow, shoot all day and etc. etc you get
      the picture. I call Sweet a bow that draws smoothly without stacking, no
      hand shock, never rotates in the hand, shoot it all day and sends the arrows
      to 170 yards without overdrawing. But what you like, you will find your own
      when you have shot 10-20 thousand arrows. It takes experience to feel how a
      bow shoots.

      The brace height (rule of thumb)- tip of the thumb to the bottom of the fist
      is about 6.5 inches on me. That is the Approx brace height for most bows.
      If there are any Bowyers out there speak up and tell us how you set the
      brace height of a bow you are making. If my memmory is correct you said
      that you set the brace height at 6 inches. To get 50% higher draw weight
      the you would have to set the brace height 3-7 inches higher.

      How many total arrows have you shot in the last week, month and year? I am
      not practicing much and I get off 50-100 arrows per week(1-2 hours of
      shooting) thats 400 in a month 6000 a year plus Pennsic and Lillies. I hope
      to double that as soon as the weather warms.

      James Cunningham