Ynt: [SCA-Archery] Re: brace heigth and proper stance

  • Luke Akan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 27, 2003
      i like add a humble comment of mine....it is rather a personal
      experience...after reading all the comments you guys wrote...i decided to
      test both stances...i have a fully sighted compound bow and the beefed up
      recurve with no sights on..

      i used both stances on both my bows and the following are my feelings and
      not my findings since i am still learning this trade....under the chin
      release provides a definate consistency advantage over the chin release. and
      it is much more comfortable..i have a damascus brand archery glove and it is
      pretty stiff on the finger tip area and it is pretty hard to rest the knock
      against your below the lip area..so it is prone to make a
      mistake..but.....when i used the compound without the sights...i had a lott
      of problem aiming...in fact...my first arrow missed the target and went
      through the door...:) my wife nearly killed me over it :)dont forget..us
      guys always think that we have a home..we actually dont...we are just
      allowed to live in it...although we pay the mortgage :)))

      it is extremely hard to aim at variable distances but once you find the
      right spot..it is very very accurate....with the below the lip anchor...you
      basically aim through the shaft...it is instinctive shooting..

      i have also noticed another advantage of the below the chin anchor...well at
      least my opinion..you can anchor a strong bow without discomfort using below
      the chin anchor...maybe because you do not have to draw the bow with an
      angle...so u use your muscles with more efficiency..as in your grip hand is
      in line with your draw hand..you can keep your grip hand more stable that
      way..i dont know...it is just a thought...

      but thanks for you info...tip of the chin grip is what i am gonna go for
      now...coz i cannot aim the other way..

      thank you for the info gentlemen..
      luke

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 27, 2003
        > i used both stances on both my bows and the following are my
        > feelings and not my findings since i am still learning this
        > trade....under the chin release provides a definate consistency
        > advantage over the chin release.

        Here are some tips that I've been taught by my coaches on the Under
        the Chin release.

        1) Relax the thumb and try to place it limp between your first and
        middle fingers. This will feel awkward at first but since I was
        taught this my scores have become much more consistant.

        2) Don't hook the string with your ring finger but place the tip of
        your finger on top of the string. If you were to look at the tip
        of my ring finger you actually see the discoloration where my
        string rubs.

        3) Place your little finger on the muscle on the front of our neck
        (beside your throat - Sorry can't remember the name of that
        muscle). This will make your hand flat and allow for less variance
        in your release.

        COACHING TIPS
        If you don't have somebody to watch you shoot get a video camera and
        shoot for a 5 minutes and then review the tape and take careful note
        on what you are doing right and what you can do to improve. DO NOT
        use words like weakness, mistake or phrases like I did that wrong.
        Build on the positive.

        If you can get your wife to watch you shoot then get her to watch
        your hand and make nothing but positive supportive comments. Like
        your thumb was in the right place, little finger was against your
        neck, flat hand, and so on and so forth. Nothing negative as you
        want to reinforce good habits not think of your mistakes.

        When you are practicing this put away your targets and put up a small
        dot or business card. Keep your focus on something for aiming but
        mainly focus on your release. I know that many people like
        practicing on a blank bale but the best archery coaches are telling
        me that you want a spot to concentrate on when practicing your
        release.

        A Korean practice that is working well for me is closing my eyes and
        practicing my release without any equipment. This works well because
        you have no distactions and if you can relax and focus it makes the
        time spent in equipment practice much more productive.

        Hopefully this might help,
        Michael
      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 27, 2003
          This is basically how I was taught nearly 30 years ago (before the
          Koreans were on the scene) Only slight personal variations. I'll verify
          that it works. Everything Michael says here works. Especially the fact
          of ignoring anything negative. Every time you think about a shot you are
          making it again. If it is a good shot you'll get better, if a bad one
          you will shoot worse. Forget anything not perfect and concentrate on
          what works.

          As for the mental practice - a little story from my college days. My
          coach heard about a basketball coach who had half team shoot freethrows
          every day for a week and the other half sit quietly and think about
          shooting perfect free throws. They both improved about the same. So she
          had us sit first thing in the morning, close our eyes, and slowly think
          about making 10 perfect shots - new target every time, every move from
          getting an arrow from our quiver to retrieving the arrow. Repeat this
          just before going to bed. After a week or two doing this my scores
          increased over 10%, my endurance increased, my heartrate when shooting
          dropped, I was steadier on the line, and I worried a lot less about how
          my competition was doing. When you hear it said that archery is a mental
          game, believe it.

          In service to the dream
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          Only $9.95 per month!
          Visit www.juno.com
        • hanhebin <hamberg@fiber.net>
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 27, 2003
            > Especially the fact of ignoring anything negative. Every time you
            > think about a shot you are making it again. If it is a good shot
            > you'll get better, if a bad one you will shoot worse. Forget
            > anything not perfect and concentrate on what works.

            One twist I have done well that works for me is that when I shoot I
            only score my good shots. In SCA shoots shots in the gold and in
            mundane shoots thats Xs and 10s. I have found it easier to ignore
            the bad if you don't even considerate from the get go. While score
            determines winning and losing the one interesting thing that I have
            noticed is that setting a personal bests with good shots feels better
            than setting a personal best with score.

            Michael
          • hanhebin <hamberg@fiber.net>
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 28, 2003
              > This is basically how I was taught nearly 30 years ago (before the
              > Koreans were on the scene) Only slight personal variations. I'll
              > verify that it works. Everything Michael says here works.

              Most of it is the same but you won't notice the differences unless
              you get the opportunity to watch long time shooters Ed Eliason like
              or Denise Parker shoot. Ed and Denise both shoot with the their
              thumbs behind their necks where the Koreans shoot with their thumbs
              limp between their index and middle fingers. For static shooting
              this works well but I have yet to master the relaxed thumb technique
              shooting a speed round. Being able to relax the thumb for only a
              fraction of a second is frustrating to say the least.

              You don't want to give me the credit here as I am only reciting what
              I have been taught by my coaches. I shoot well only because I have
              excellent teachers and they deserve the real credit.

              Michael
            • Chad Wilson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 28, 2003
                Marche of the Unicorn will be holding its annual spring event, GRAND TOURNAMENT
                OF THE UNICORN XI, this coming April 5th.

                There will be time for those who wish to shoot a Royal Round, IKAC, Winter Round
                or Popinjay. There will also be some novelty shoots for prizes. Bring out your
                bows and have a pleasant day with us!

                http://www.midrealm.org/unicorn/gt.html

                If you have any questions, feel free to contact me personally.

                In service,
                Caedmon

                ps. There will also be thrown weapons and siege weapons.

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Sam Cohen
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 28, 2003
                  I can say that this has always been a great archery event and
                  if you are in the area you owe it to yourself to make this event.

                  Demetrious

                • hanhebin <hamberg@fiber.net>
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 28, 2003
                    >> Marche of the Unicorn will be holding its annual spring event,
                    >> GRAND TOURNAMENT OF THE UNICORN XI, this coming April 5th.

                    > I can say that this has always been a great archery event and
                    > if you are in the area you owe it to yourself to make this event.

                    Sounds fun. It's unfortunate that most of the out-of-kingdom shoots
                    that would like to attend conflict with my mundane schedule.

                    Michael
                  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie <ka
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 30, 2003
                      > One twist I have done well that works for me is that when I shoot I
                      > only score my good shots. <snip> I have found it easier to ignore
                      > the bad if you don't even considerate from the get go. ..

                      Greetings all,
                      I must say that to a degree, I agree...
                      I have found that in the study of kyudo and kyujutsu, if there is a
                      detatchment of scoring that is completely removed from the shooting,
                      the shooting gets better.
                      I know when a shot is not right (usually before i let it
                      go...<blush>). Practicing Buddhist-like detatchment, I am able to not
                      dwell on the result of the shot, and more properly focus on what the
                      shot should be...
                      I try to keep the good/bad dychotomy out of the observation, and try
                      to find the "right way", which is, of course neither good nor bad.
                      I note where the shot went...I catalog my body and mind state before
                      the shot, and during the release...then I try to not try.
                      Cumulatively, the shots will get better.
                      I am told that the good shots will be innocent of purpose, be it
                      scoring, or desire for better posture, or what have you. Now and then,
                      I have tasted it...sometimes as the shot flew from me...other times
                      only after I have left the shooting line, and looked back.
                      I have yet to register an SCA score, because I don't see the purpose.
                      At least for me...

                      Date Saburou Yukiie
                      Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
                      http://www.kabutographics.com
                      kabuto@...
                    • mark s graves
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 30, 2003
                        Not to steal your thunder, but Northwoods is again hosting the Pentamere
                        Archer's College in Lansing Michigan on March
                        22nd...........................William Ross

                        Only $9.95 per month!
                        Visit www.juno.com