bow weight

  • robert ferguson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2003
      I really like the arrows a fletcher friend of mine makes, so I don't make my own. To measure bow weight, he uses a fish scale. Not a peice off the side of a fish, but the poundage scale. He has it hung from a rafter in his basement. It works very nicely. A useful investment, I think, if your doing a lot of bowmaking........AElfric

    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
        There is a general formula for estimating the increase of bow draw
        weight for an increase in thickness or in width. At the moment I can
        neither remember it or find a reference to it in my books. Could
        someone please post it?

        Thanks for any help you can give.

        Jon
      • Eadric Anstapa
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
          It depends almost entirely on the materials used to construct the
          bow.

          You can find various references for lemonwood or yew or osage
          or .... that are all a little different. Of course laminiated
          bows of either wood, horn or synthetic laminates change all of
          that.

          And of course the design of the bow also matters. A bow that has
          radical reflex/deflex/recurve action or a bow with siyahs or a
          longbow will all be different. But any one design should have a
          pretty linear increase in draw weight.

          Regards,

          -EA
          (who is in Europe visiting museums at the moment. Saw a real
          several thousand year old Holmegard style bow in a museum today)

          --
          HL Eadric Anstapa
          DSEM CA
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Eadric Anstapa" <smills@s...>
            wrote:
            > It depends almost entirely on the materials used to construct the
            > bow.

            I believe you will find that when ordering a horsebow for a specified
            draw weight that the bow doesn't change at all -- only the size and
            number of the sinew (possibly artificial) strands inlaid under the
            outer skin -- that a 60# bow is no 'thicker' that a 35# one. It is
            sort of like adding a leaf spring to your truck suspension rather than
            changing the thickness of the main spring.

            kinjal

          • jameswolfden
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2005
              The difference in thickness between a 60 pound bow and 35
              pound is minimal regardless of bow type. This is one of the
              reasons why many first time bowyers end up building bows far
              lighter than they planned.

              The poundage is usually controlled by the width of the limbs
              rather than the thickness of the limbs as it is less sensitive. The
              rule of thumb is that doubling the width will make a bow twice as
              strong while doubling the thickness will make a bow 8x as
              strong.

              If I add another layer of sinew, I am changing the thickness of the
              bow. Typically, you will want the thickness of the sinew layers to
              equal the thickness of the horn layer. The horn layer can be
              gently scraped to drop poundage although some modern
              bowyers will preshape the core wood before laminating based
              on their experience.

              James Wolfden

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
              <gusarimagic@c...> wrote:
              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Eadric Anstapa"
              <smills@s...>
              > wrote:
              > > It depends almost entirely on the materials used to construct
              the
              > > bow.
              >
              > I believe you will find that when ordering a horsebow for a
              specified
              > draw weight that the bow doesn't change at all -- only the size
              and
              > number of the sinew (possibly artificial) strands inlaid under
              the
              > outer skin -- that a 60# bow is no 'thicker' that a 35# one. It is
              > sort of like adding a leaf spring to your truck suspension rather
              than
              > changing the thickness of the main spring.
              >
              > kinjal

            • John edgerton
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2005
                Thank you. That was the rule of thumb that I had read and heard
                before. But, just could not get my feeble olde brain to remember.

                Jon