Last call, etc

  • Evian Blackthorn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2003
      Siegfried wrote:
      >If you feel so strongly about it, why don't you
      >start your own competition

      I'm perfectly happy to let Lorenzo make the rules he
      wants, and then choose to either shoot, or not, based on
      those rules. He asked for comments, so I gave mine.

      However, if the whole concept is that the 'spirit' of
      IKCAC is as a training exercise for combat on the
      battlefield, then the idea that Siegfried put forward that:
      >Someone can use anything, anywhere, that is legal
      >within the 'Thin with APD' category and compete.
      >Same goes for the Thick shaft'ers ... the benefit
      >being that the two don't have to try to compete
      >against each other, when there is a definate
      >performance difference between them.

      defeats that purpose. Under this system of anyone anywhere
      can use a thin shaft with APD, a person from Calontir can
      use a thin shaft with APD for IKCAC, but cannot use it for
      combat in Calontir. Therefore, he is NOT practicing for
      combat on the battlefield. Same as the current system in
      that respect. The only way to keep intact the 'spirit' of
      the IKCAC, as defined by Siegfried, "as a training exercise
      for combat archery", is to make a rule that the equipment a
      person uses must be legal in his own kingdom. That would
      include his bow, his arrows, and his armor. I would have no
      objection to a rule like that, except that it would cause
      IKCAC to cease to be Inter-Kingdom in scope, or to cease to
      be fair. Either the GT Kingdoms would be at a disadvantage,
      or they would have to have a separate devision for them. And
      Lochac (with the further reaches of Caid) would be a
      complete division in itself. There could not be equal
      competition between say, Calontir and Lochac. If it's truly
      going to be a fair interkingdom competition in scope, then
      all competitors MUST be allowed to use the same equipment,
      if they choose. Like I said, complaints received about the
      playing field not being level were caused because either:
      A. A Kingdom restricted that person. That's a Kingdom Rules
      problem that needs to be addressed within that Kingdom by
      that kingdom's populace, not by IKCAC.
      B. That person did not know they could use the same
      equipment as any other competitor used. That simply requires
      education. That is something IKCAC can deal with.
      C. They simply refused to use what they are acnowledging is
      superior equipment. That is their own fault, and not
      something IKCAC needs to concern itself with either.

      Evian
    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2003
        > However, if the whole concept is that the 'spirit' of
        >IKCAC is as a training exercise for combat on the
        >battlefield, then the idea that Siegfried put forward that:
        > >Someone can use anything, anywhere, that is legal
        > >within the 'Thin with APD' category and compete.
        > >Same goes for the Thick shaft'ers ... the benefit
        > >being that the two don't have to try to compete
        > >against each other, when there is a definate
        > >performance difference between them.
        >
        >defeats that purpose. Under this system of anyone anywhere
        >can use a thin shaft with APD, a person from Calontir can
        >use a thin shaft with APD for IKCAC, but cannot use it for
        >combat in Calontir. Therefore, he is NOT practicing for
        >combat on the battlefield. Same as the current system in
        >that respect. The only way to keep intact the 'spirit' of
        >the IKCAC, as defined by Siegfried, "as a training exercise
        >for combat archery", is to make a rule that the equipment a
        >person uses must be legal in his own kingdom.

        I guess that my point (which I didn't make clearly) is that it is perhaps
        (In My Opinion), a good compromise. By Having multiple 'similarly
        performing' categories (Thin w/ APD, Thick), then the fairness is preserved
        ... within each category. And the training excersise can be preserved as
        well. Calontir people can shoot in the Thick shaft category, training
        themselves for Combat Archery, and having a level playing field in that
        particular competition.

        Yes, they can also shoot with ammo not legal in their local area ... but
        that is their choice at that point, and they are competeing in a different
        category at that point.

        Unlike currently, Where 95% of the SCA is 'forced' to use non-locally-legal
        ammo to compete in a fair competition. Under a multiple category scheme:
        most of the SCA can in fact participate, with their own local equipment,
        and have a fair competition to do it in.

        Siegfried

        Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
      • Carl West
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2003
          > ...IKCAC ...Thick shaft'ers... IKCAC...combat on the battlefield... IKCAC... APD... Combat Archery...

          It's starting to look like this thread belongs on the missile list.

          - Fritz

          --
          Carl West eisen@... http://eisen.home.attbi.com

          I have no superfluous leisure; my stay must be stolen out
          of other affairs; but I will attend you awhile.

          - Isabella, Measure for Measure, Act 3 Scene 1
        • Bob Upson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2003
            On 5 Jan 2003 at 17:51, Carl West wrote:

            > > ...IKCAC ...Thick shaft'ers... IKCAC...combat on the battlefield...
            > > IKCAC... APD... Combat Archery...
            >
            > It's starting to look like this thread belongs on the missile list.

            Agreed. <hint, hint>

            YIS,
            Macsen