Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Helical Feathers Period?

  • Chad and Erin Wilson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
      From: <jrosswebb1@...>
      > Greetings,
      > Why on earth would you even want to make an arrow that didn't
      > spin?! You'd be launching an inaccurate "glider" that was effected
      > severely by even the slightest change in wind current. Because of the
      > natural taper and bend to a feather, even a straight fletch will and
      > SHOULD spin.

      My arrows are straight fletched and they fly just fine. Even at 40 yards off of
      a slow 34# longbow. My crossbow bolts are straight fletched, fly at 170 fps and
      fly true everytime.

      Even in high winds.

      *shrug*

      But like you said, there is going to be some natural spin anywho.

      -Caedmon
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2003
        Yes!! I have seen Geoffrei shoot his logs with leaves still attached. And
        he does shoot them well. Spin is good but you only need one turn in 100-200
        yards to be effective. On lighter bows 25-40 lb. any arrow will spend more
        time gliding with big feathers. What you will find is a center shot modern
        recurves will need a lot less feather to pull them strait. And anyone first
        trying to get a longbow to shoot well should start with the full hight 3-5
        inch feathers. I am not conviced that zero spin makes an "inaccurat glider"
        severely effected by "change" in wind current. I do know that slow arrows
        are effected more by wind drift. Big feathered, rapidly spinning arrows
        slow down the quikest. Try every thing then use what works for you.

        James Cunningham

      • hanhebin <hamberg@fiber.net>
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2003
          > On lighter bows 25-40 lb. any arrow will spend more time gliding
          > with big feathers. What you will find is a center shot modern
          > recurves will need a lot less feather to pull them strait.

          Hoyt engineers disagree here. Under high speed video testing Hoyt
          has discovered that 5" turkey feathers are actually better than spin
          wings in 18 meter indoor shoots. Longer feather fletch stablizes the
          arrow quicker and under high speed footage start spinning the arrow
          within 3' from clearing the riser.

          Michael
        • banzhof
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 6, 2003
            Caedmon said:

            ">My arrows are straight fletched and they fly just fine. Even at 40 yards
            off of
            >a slow 34# longbow. My crossbow bolts are straight fletched, fly at 170 fps and
            >fly true everytime.
            >
            >Even in high winds.
            >
            >*shrug*
            >
            >But like you said, there is going to be some natural spin anywho.
            >
            >-Caedmon"

            I agree with this, on 21 inch crossbow bolts with 3 inch straight 3 fletch,
            I have often watched them on long shots and noted that they are not spining,
            but they fly true with every shot.

            Alan of Caerlaverock, Forester of the Greenwood