Re: [SCA-Archery] Anachronistic Archery Equipment

  • mark s graves
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 30, 2002
      As an archery marshal, I believe my top two duties are safety and fun. I
      want archers. especially new ones, to feel welcomed and to come back. If
      this means allowing a non-period bow type, in a non-scoring situation, I
      will. I do sew my clothes by hand, make my own arrows and make other
      things I need for use in the SCA. But this is my road that I travel by
      choice. I don't expect others to do what I do. I have been in the SCA
      for 10 years and the longer you stay in this game, the bigger the danger
      of forgeting of what it is like to be new and unknowing. This is falling
      into the authenticity trap. It is easy to forget that this is a hobby
      and that each of us must decide how much time and money to spend in it.
      We each have real life demands, some more than others. Please remember
      we are all in this for slightly different reasons and that we each have
      different abilities in a wide range of things. As an archer, I
      believe in being inclusive in any way that I can. This is one of the
      things that make archery special and I would like to keep that way. I
      would love to have a period cross bow, a period archery officer's breast
      plate and helm. but the timing is all wrong. I would also love to have a
      hand made long bow, but life demands my resources in other areas.
      William Ross

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com
    • mark s graves
      Message 75 of 75 , Jan 3, 2003
        Education is one of the central pillars of the marshal. You can do all
        the teaching you want, but if the person isn't having fun and doesn't
        come back-what have you gained. I would prefer to build the person's
        interest in archery first, and then develop the persona and the finer
        points. You have to teach some to walk before they can crawl. It is my
        aim to build their interest and broaden their education step by step.
        As a marshal I try to help each archer find what is right for them and
        not I define as period. I let them make that choice. What is right for
        me is different than what is right for you. I love shooting archery.
        My time is split between shooting, service as a line marshal/deputy
        regional officer and making my own equiptemnt. This is the path I choose
        to follow. I spend a lot of time teaching others, especially new
        marshals. William Ross

        Only $9.95 per month!
        Visit www.juno.com