Re: [SCA-Archery] "period" vs. "non-period"

  • Dan Scheid
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
      > Yes, but would a recurve that is not known to fit with the persona (i.e.
      > Scottish Highlander in late 1500's) be acceptable in an SCA tournament?
      >
      > Alisdar
      yes SCA does not match equipment to persona that is a personal choice
      Damales
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
        Yes. There is no requirement for a persona to even exist. Look at the
        number of Vikings fighting in 15th century plate.

        In service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 21:12:34 -0500 "Nathaniel S. Prentice"
        <prentice@...> writes:
        > Yes, but would a recurve that is not known to fit with the persona
        > (i.e.
        > Scottish Highlander in late 1500's) be acceptable in an SCA
        > tournament?
        >
        > Alisdar

        Only $9.95 per month!
        Visit www.juno.com
      • James ap Llywelyn
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
          Conversely, look at the number of "late period" personas fighting in
          spangenhelms! I am fortunate, as a Welshman from some time between
          the 13th and 16th centuries I use a longbow. I acquired a very
          faithful rendition of the english longbow that pulls 30# at 28. My
          Knight however, is a norseman through and through, firmly mired in
          the 10th century, so I am often found in viborg shirts and leg
          bindings as often as doublets or houpelandes. I think the only effect
          persona has on archery is if you feel strongly about your persona and
          it is one whose culture and time would have used a bow, then do the
          research and try your hand at shooting something pertinent to your
          persona. It really is fun.
          It is important though to remember what has been stated here
          regarding new shooters and traditional equipment. I have 12 expert
          marksman awards with a modern rifle and after 3 months still have
          difficulty getting my longbow to do the same thing twice! My knight
          has a shoot-through bear recurve though that comes much closer to
          consistency, I imagine due to a more forgiving design.
          James ap Llywelyn

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus Eulenhorst