Re: [SCA-Archery] A newbie that is becoming quite frustrated

  • Carl West
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
      Nissyia Saethwr wrote:

      >...I have a fiberglass 45# basic recurve; and mind you, it
      > is brown colored. It has nothing on it except a string to draw back
      > on, and a nice handle that I can line my arrow up on. ...

      Marvelous! Get thee to the line and shoot some arrows!

      >... I see the one side where people here are all about
      > being creative and not really giving a hoot about what "period" bow
      > you use, as long as it is to regulation standards; and then on the
      > other side of the coin, I see a heck of a lot more coming out saying
      > that "period" bows are better for the SCA and that is it basically
      > more "admirable" to be able to shoot such a bow!

      These two positions are not actually in conflict.
      'Good enough' is exactly that. Satisfy the regulations and it's good
      enough to shoot. I don't think anyone here is actually trying to say
      that 'Good enough' isn't good enough.
      'Better' is a fuzzy thing because each person's perception of
      what's better is different. A person's 'Better' might be for Archery
      or for the SCA or SCA Archery or recreating a particular moment
      in history, or any number of other personal agendae. If your gear
      is good enough to play, you may ignore them if you like.

      >...To discuss like this and sometimes
      > bicker about it, doesn't it take away from the fun of it all?

      For most, yes, but some seem to enjoy it.
      These discussions are not entirely without value though, sometimes good
      information is revealed, and I think that Scadian's should occasionally
      address the "What am I getting out of this SCA this game I play?" question
      every now and then.

      >...To me, it is.

      Then just say to yourself,
      "Oh feh, they're on about _that_ again. Oh well. My rig is what I like shooting.
      It's as period as I care to make it and it's good enough."

      Shoot some arrows.
      - Fritz, OL, CSagg, &c.
      --
      Carl West eisen@... http://eisen.home.attbi.com

      I have no superfluous leisure; my stay must be stolen out
      of other affairs; but I will attend you awhile.

      - Isabella, Measure for Measure, Act 3 Scene 1
    • Toramitsu
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
        I do my best to strive for "authenticity" but as it has been said before. Perfectly "period" tools, equipment and even garb are very expensive and not always easy to obtain. No, not everyone has a master bowyer in their Shire, Baroney or Principality. The same is true for other area of the SCA. This is why many new heavy fighters are on the field with little more than Hockey gear. We're here to play, enjoy and learn. In time we develop skills and contacts to assist us in our search for "perfect authenticity." I am a Heavy Fighter crossing over to archery, but my place is in a melee or special ops work. Therefore most of my hard earn money is sunk into my armour and weapons. Right now I would love to shoot a Mongol or Hungarian bow. Too bad I can't find one for less than $400.00. So, I will stick with my fiberglass recurve. The one I bought for $5.00 at a yard sale.

        "hanhebin <hamberg@...>" <hamberg@...> wrote:> I have seen so much discussion and even bickering about the modern
        > vs. period bows. The arrows I can understand about the stickler
        > attitude of keeping them period, but the bows?!

        You shoot with whatever you want to shoot and simply ignore what
        anybody else says. You are out to shoot for enjoyment not to please
        anybody else but yourself. Doesn't matter if you are the best
        archery out there or the worst just so long as you are having fun.

        Michael

        Chuo no Minamoto Toramitsu
        Joshu no Chuo Minamoto
        Metsuke no Genji
        " I am Samurai, my way is to Serve. For the Honor and Glory of Clan Genji "

      • Guy Taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
          > Right now I would love to shoot a Mongol or Hungarian
          > bow. Too bad I can't find one for less than $400.00.

          You simply haven't found the right source.
          http://www.traditional-archery-scandinavia.com/englisch/englisch.html
        • Bruce R. Gordon
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
            Greetings
            In an organization as large and diverse as the SCA is, you will
            always find opinions all up and down the scale on any given subject.
            Period-vs.-Creative is a perennial discussion which re-occurs
            frequently on SCA lists, both in archery and in other topics. Bottom
            line is, while there are some in the SCA who strive to be as
            historically accurate as possible (and wish others would follow that
            path as well), it remains that there is no rule forbidding the use of
            modern bows, within very broad constaints (no compounds, no button
            triggers, no balancers, etc.), and there never will be. Top-level
            archery administrators decided long ago to make archery inclusive and
            open, available to as many as possible. That means open class equipment
            is standard. I most certainly agree with that policy, and enforce it
            vigorously in my Kingdom. I see by your Email address that you probably
            live in the Midrealm or AEthelmearc? If you are in the Mid, and you
            find a case of a range official chasing someone off the range because
            their tackle isn't "period", please inform me directly - it will be my
            pleasure to insure that such an official never marshals a range again.
            If you are AEthelmearc, be assured that the AEthelmearc AG feels the
            same way; he is a personal friend of mine and I know his attitudes well.
            If another shooter is querelous about your "modern" tackle, be
            polite or not as you will, but point out to them that they are being
            rude and incorrect in their assumptions. And then ignore them and get
            on with enjoying yourself at the range.
            I like seeing very period equpage, and I love to inspect it - I
            encourage folks to try and go in that direction if they can: but some
            can't, and some don't want to, and that is absolutely fine. I'd much
            rather see a big crowd on the range, shooting what they can, then a
            small coterie of auythenticity-junkies.
            Please don't let the current thread upset you - it started a week
            or two ago, and will fizzle out shortly, to be replaced by some other
            topic. The list is a good place to listen to various ideas, but it's
            not a range and, as far as archery goes, ranges are where the important
            stuff happens.

            Cordially;
            Forester Nigel FitzMaurice; Middle Kingdom Archer-General

            --
            Ex Tenebra, Lux

          • Jack Spinks
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
              Amen! Nuff said. See you on the line sometime!
              Jacques

            • Godwin fitzGilbert <Godwin@rmci.net>
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
                Nissiya,

                So it boils down to meeting the Society rules for target archery
                equipment, and your Kingdom also. Most Kingdoms echo exactly the
                Society rules, in the link below.

                http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/target_archery_rule
                s_plus_supplement.pdf

                This link will give you the info you need. Anything else is just
                people's opinions, and personal desires.

                After meeting the basic requirements anything you wish to do, or not
                do, is entirely your affair...period.

                Godwin
              • James Brummet
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003