Re: A newbie that is becoming quite frustrated

  • hanhebin <hamberg@fiber.net>
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
      > I have seen so much discussion and even bickering about the modern
      > vs. period bows. The arrows I can understand about the stickler
      > attitude of keeping them period, but the bows?!

      You shoot with whatever you want to shoot and simply ignore what
      anybody else says. You are out to shoot for enjoyment not to please
      anybody else but yourself. Doesn't matter if you are the best
      archery out there or the worst just so long as you are having fun.

      Michael
    • Carl West
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
        Nissyia Saethwr wrote:

        >...I have a fiberglass 45# basic recurve; and mind you, it
        > is brown colored. It has nothing on it except a string to draw back
        > on, and a nice handle that I can line my arrow up on. ...

        Marvelous! Get thee to the line and shoot some arrows!

        >... I see the one side where people here are all about
        > being creative and not really giving a hoot about what "period" bow
        > you use, as long as it is to regulation standards; and then on the
        > other side of the coin, I see a heck of a lot more coming out saying
        > that "period" bows are better for the SCA and that is it basically
        > more "admirable" to be able to shoot such a bow!

        These two positions are not actually in conflict.
        'Good enough' is exactly that. Satisfy the regulations and it's good
        enough to shoot. I don't think anyone here is actually trying to say
        that 'Good enough' isn't good enough.
        'Better' is a fuzzy thing because each person's perception of
        what's better is different. A person's 'Better' might be for Archery
        or for the SCA or SCA Archery or recreating a particular moment
        in history, or any number of other personal agendae. If your gear
        is good enough to play, you may ignore them if you like.

        >...To discuss like this and sometimes
        > bicker about it, doesn't it take away from the fun of it all?

        For most, yes, but some seem to enjoy it.
        These discussions are not entirely without value though, sometimes good
        information is revealed, and I think that Scadian's should occasionally
        address the "What am I getting out of this SCA this game I play?" question
        every now and then.

        >...To me, it is.

        Then just say to yourself,
        "Oh feh, they're on about _that_ again. Oh well. My rig is what I like shooting.
        It's as period as I care to make it and it's good enough."

        Shoot some arrows.
        - Fritz, OL, CSagg, &c.
        --
        Carl West eisen@... http://eisen.home.attbi.com

        I have no superfluous leisure; my stay must be stolen out
        of other affairs; but I will attend you awhile.

        - Isabella, Measure for Measure, Act 3 Scene 1
      • Toramitsu
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
          I do my best to strive for "authenticity" but as it has been said before. Perfectly "period" tools, equipment and even garb are very expensive and not always easy to obtain. No, not everyone has a master bowyer in their Shire, Baroney or Principality. The same is true for other area of the SCA. This is why many new heavy fighters are on the field with little more than Hockey gear. We're here to play, enjoy and learn. In time we develop skills and contacts to assist us in our search for "perfect authenticity." I am a Heavy Fighter crossing over to archery, but my place is in a melee or special ops work. Therefore most of my hard earn money is sunk into my armour and weapons. Right now I would love to shoot a Mongol or Hungarian bow. Too bad I can't find one for less than $400.00. So, I will stick with my fiberglass recurve. The one I bought for $5.00 at a yard sale.

          "hanhebin <hamberg@...>" <hamberg@...> wrote:> I have seen so much discussion and even bickering about the modern
          > vs. period bows. The arrows I can understand about the stickler
          > attitude of keeping them period, but the bows?!

          You shoot with whatever you want to shoot and simply ignore what
          anybody else says. You are out to shoot for enjoyment not to please
          anybody else but yourself. Doesn't matter if you are the best
          archery out there or the worst just so long as you are having fun.

          Michael

          Chuo no Minamoto Toramitsu
          Joshu no Chuo Minamoto
          Metsuke no Genji
          " I am Samurai, my way is to Serve. For the Honor and Glory of Clan Genji "

        • Guy Taylor
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
            > Right now I would love to shoot a Mongol or Hungarian
            > bow. Too bad I can't find one for less than $400.00.

            You simply haven't found the right source.
            http://www.traditional-archery-scandinavia.com/englisch/englisch.html
          • Bruce R. Gordon
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
              Greetings
              In an organization as large and diverse as the SCA is, you will
              always find opinions all up and down the scale on any given subject.
              Period-vs.-Creative is a perennial discussion which re-occurs
              frequently on SCA lists, both in archery and in other topics. Bottom
              line is, while there are some in the SCA who strive to be as
              historically accurate as possible (and wish others would follow that
              path as well), it remains that there is no rule forbidding the use of
              modern bows, within very broad constaints (no compounds, no button
              triggers, no balancers, etc.), and there never will be. Top-level
              archery administrators decided long ago to make archery inclusive and
              open, available to as many as possible. That means open class equipment
              is standard. I most certainly agree with that policy, and enforce it
              vigorously in my Kingdom. I see by your Email address that you probably
              live in the Midrealm or AEthelmearc? If you are in the Mid, and you
              find a case of a range official chasing someone off the range because
              their tackle isn't "period", please inform me directly - it will be my
              pleasure to insure that such an official never marshals a range again.
              If you are AEthelmearc, be assured that the AEthelmearc AG feels the
              same way; he is a personal friend of mine and I know his attitudes well.
              If another shooter is querelous about your "modern" tackle, be
              polite or not as you will, but point out to them that they are being
              rude and incorrect in their assumptions. And then ignore them and get
              on with enjoying yourself at the range.
              I like seeing very period equpage, and I love to inspect it - I
              encourage folks to try and go in that direction if they can: but some
              can't, and some don't want to, and that is absolutely fine. I'd much
              rather see a big crowd on the range, shooting what they can, then a
              small coterie of auythenticity-junkies.
              Please don't let the current thread upset you - it started a week
              or two ago, and will fizzle out shortly, to be replaced by some other
              topic. The list is a good place to listen to various ideas, but it's
              not a range and, as far as archery goes, ranges are where the important
              stuff happens.

              Cordially;
              Forester Nigel FitzMaurice; Middle Kingdom Archer-General

              --
              Ex Tenebra, Lux

            • Jack Spinks
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
                Amen! Nuff said. See you on the line sometime!
                Jacques

              • Godwin fitzGilbert <Godwin@rmci.net>
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
                  Nissiya,

                  So it boils down to meeting the Society rules for target archery
                  equipment, and your Kingdom also. Most Kingdoms echo exactly the
                  Society rules, in the link below.

                  http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/target_archery_rule
                  s_plus_supplement.pdf

                  This link will give you the info you need. Anything else is just
                  people's opinions, and personal desires.

                  After meeting the basic requirements anything you wish to do, or not
                  do, is entirely your affair...period.

                  Godwin
                • James Brummet
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003