A newbie that is becoming quite frustrated

  • Nissyia Saethwr <appalachianaspen@yahoo.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
      Ok, here's my beef. I am highly interested in participating
      within the local SCA Canton and Barony within the Kingdom I live in
      the Archery department. So far from being on this Archery group for
      the SCA, and another one, I have seen so much discussion and even
      bickering about the modern vs. period bows. The arrows I can
      understand about the stickler attitude of keeping them period, but
      the bows?! I have a fiberglass 45# basic recurve; and mind you, it
      is brown colored. It has nothing on it except a string to draw back
      on, and a nice handle that I can line my arrow up on. I am just
      wondering why all this commotion over being so "traditional?" I
      mean, I thought the whole purpose of the SCA was the "C" in the name
      of it all..."Creative." Being creative involves integration of
      the "new" along with the "old." I guess I am having a very difficult
      time with grasping the idea of being so "period" over the fact of
      merely just being "creative", and leaving the skill to show for
      itself; period or non-period bow! The skill, no matter what bow you
      use, is in the archer, not the bow or arrows! Even a compound bow
      (though I know the SCA prohibits the use of these, I am merely
      pointing out an example here, so bear with me for a moment and
      please don't get the underwear in knots.) takes a certain skill to
      use appropriately! It may be less skill than one who uses an ELB,
      crossbow, or a recurve, but nonetheless, it is still skill! So what
      is the beef here? I see the one side where people here are all about
      being creative and not really giving a hoot about what "period" bow
      you use, as long as it is to regulation standards; and then on the
      other side of the coin, I see a heck of a lot more coming out saying
      that "period" bows are better for the SCA and that is it basically
      more "admirable" to be able to shoot such a bow! I will tell ya
      right now, not everyone is handy with a piece of wood to lathe
      and/or whittle it down to get it down into a good shape of a bow. In
      other words, not everyone is a bowyer. Many are archers only, not
      bowyers. Also in today age, not everyone has either the time or
      money to ingest into such a project such as making their own bow!
      Modern times are upon us whether we like it or not. We live in the
      modern times, and we merely are "role-playing" in the SCA to escape
      the modern times to re-create the medieval times because we enjoy
      it! If we are here to enjoy it, why the heck bicker about "period"
      tools and "non-period" tools? To discuss like this and sometimes
      bicker about it, doesn't it take away from the fun of it all? To
      me, it is. I just wonder if anyone else sees my point of view here,
      and can possibly answer some of these questions.

      <sighs a deep breath out of serious frustration>

      Sincerely-
      Nissiya
    • hanhebin <hamberg@fiber.net>
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
        > I have seen so much discussion and even bickering about the modern
        > vs. period bows. The arrows I can understand about the stickler
        > attitude of keeping them period, but the bows?!

        You shoot with whatever you want to shoot and simply ignore what
        anybody else says. You are out to shoot for enjoyment not to please
        anybody else but yourself. Doesn't matter if you are the best
        archery out there or the worst just so long as you are having fun.

        Michael
      • Carl West
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
          Nissyia Saethwr wrote:

          >...I have a fiberglass 45# basic recurve; and mind you, it
          > is brown colored. It has nothing on it except a string to draw back
          > on, and a nice handle that I can line my arrow up on. ...

          Marvelous! Get thee to the line and shoot some arrows!

          >... I see the one side where people here are all about
          > being creative and not really giving a hoot about what "period" bow
          > you use, as long as it is to regulation standards; and then on the
          > other side of the coin, I see a heck of a lot more coming out saying
          > that "period" bows are better for the SCA and that is it basically
          > more "admirable" to be able to shoot such a bow!

          These two positions are not actually in conflict.
          'Good enough' is exactly that. Satisfy the regulations and it's good
          enough to shoot. I don't think anyone here is actually trying to say
          that 'Good enough' isn't good enough.
          'Better' is a fuzzy thing because each person's perception of
          what's better is different. A person's 'Better' might be for Archery
          or for the SCA or SCA Archery or recreating a particular moment
          in history, or any number of other personal agendae. If your gear
          is good enough to play, you may ignore them if you like.

          >...To discuss like this and sometimes
          > bicker about it, doesn't it take away from the fun of it all?

          For most, yes, but some seem to enjoy it.
          These discussions are not entirely without value though, sometimes good
          information is revealed, and I think that Scadian's should occasionally
          address the "What am I getting out of this SCA this game I play?" question
          every now and then.

          >...To me, it is.

          Then just say to yourself,
          "Oh feh, they're on about _that_ again. Oh well. My rig is what I like shooting.
          It's as period as I care to make it and it's good enough."

          Shoot some arrows.
          - Fritz, OL, CSagg, &c.
          --
          Carl West eisen@... http://eisen.home.attbi.com

          I have no superfluous leisure; my stay must be stolen out
          of other affairs; but I will attend you awhile.

          - Isabella, Measure for Measure, Act 3 Scene 1
        • Toramitsu
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
            I do my best to strive for "authenticity" but as it has been said before. Perfectly "period" tools, equipment and even garb are very expensive and not always easy to obtain. No, not everyone has a master bowyer in their Shire, Baroney or Principality. The same is true for other area of the SCA. This is why many new heavy fighters are on the field with little more than Hockey gear. We're here to play, enjoy and learn. In time we develop skills and contacts to assist us in our search for "perfect authenticity." I am a Heavy Fighter crossing over to archery, but my place is in a melee or special ops work. Therefore most of my hard earn money is sunk into my armour and weapons. Right now I would love to shoot a Mongol or Hungarian bow. Too bad I can't find one for less than $400.00. So, I will stick with my fiberglass recurve. The one I bought for $5.00 at a yard sale.

            "hanhebin <hamberg@...>" <hamberg@...> wrote:> I have seen so much discussion and even bickering about the modern
            > vs. period bows. The arrows I can understand about the stickler
            > attitude of keeping them period, but the bows?!

            You shoot with whatever you want to shoot and simply ignore what
            anybody else says. You are out to shoot for enjoyment not to please
            anybody else but yourself. Doesn't matter if you are the best
            archery out there or the worst just so long as you are having fun.

            Michael

            Chuo no Minamoto Toramitsu
            Joshu no Chuo Minamoto
            Metsuke no Genji
            " I am Samurai, my way is to Serve. For the Honor and Glory of Clan Genji "

          • Guy Taylor
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
              > Right now I would love to shoot a Mongol or Hungarian
              > bow. Too bad I can't find one for less than $400.00.

              You simply haven't found the right source.
              http://www.traditional-archery-scandinavia.com/englisch/englisch.html
            • Bruce R. Gordon
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
                Greetings
                In an organization as large and diverse as the SCA is, you will
                always find opinions all up and down the scale on any given subject.
                Period-vs.-Creative is a perennial discussion which re-occurs
                frequently on SCA lists, both in archery and in other topics. Bottom
                line is, while there are some in the SCA who strive to be as
                historically accurate as possible (and wish others would follow that
                path as well), it remains that there is no rule forbidding the use of
                modern bows, within very broad constaints (no compounds, no button
                triggers, no balancers, etc.), and there never will be. Top-level
                archery administrators decided long ago to make archery inclusive and
                open, available to as many as possible. That means open class equipment
                is standard. I most certainly agree with that policy, and enforce it
                vigorously in my Kingdom. I see by your Email address that you probably
                live in the Midrealm or AEthelmearc? If you are in the Mid, and you
                find a case of a range official chasing someone off the range because
                their tackle isn't "period", please inform me directly - it will be my
                pleasure to insure that such an official never marshals a range again.
                If you are AEthelmearc, be assured that the AEthelmearc AG feels the
                same way; he is a personal friend of mine and I know his attitudes well.
                If another shooter is querelous about your "modern" tackle, be
                polite or not as you will, but point out to them that they are being
                rude and incorrect in their assumptions. And then ignore them and get
                on with enjoying yourself at the range.
                I like seeing very period equpage, and I love to inspect it - I
                encourage folks to try and go in that direction if they can: but some
                can't, and some don't want to, and that is absolutely fine. I'd much
                rather see a big crowd on the range, shooting what they can, then a
                small coterie of auythenticity-junkies.
                Please don't let the current thread upset you - it started a week
                or two ago, and will fizzle out shortly, to be replaced by some other
                topic. The list is a good place to listen to various ideas, but it's
                not a range and, as far as archery goes, ranges are where the important
                stuff happens.

                Cordially;
                Forester Nigel FitzMaurice; Middle Kingdom Archer-General

                --
                Ex Tenebra, Lux

              • Jack Spinks
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2003
                  Amen! Nuff said. See you on the line sometime!
                  Jacques

                • Godwin fitzGilbert <Godwin@rmci.net>
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
                    Nissiya,

                    So it boils down to meeting the Society rules for target archery
                    equipment, and your Kingdom also. Most Kingdoms echo exactly the
                    Society rules, in the link below.

                    http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/target_archery_rule
                    s_plus_supplement.pdf

                    This link will give you the info you need. Anything else is just
                    people's opinions, and personal desires.

                    After meeting the basic requirements anything you wish to do, or not
                    do, is entirely your affair...period.

                    Godwin
                  • James Brummet
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003