Re: Scotsman's Bow

  • hanhebin <hamberg@fiber.net>
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
      > Here in the Northeast US, most of the tournaments have a
      > traditional division, and that's what I shoot in with my shooting
      > buddies, some scadians, some not. Most of them are also shooting
      > custom bows, usually recurves, but some shoot longbows. In the end
      > it's all pretty much the same. Whatever you're comfortable with.

      Here in the west most of the mundane tournaments I attend have
      tradition divisions too but it's rare to see anybody compete in
      them. Keep up the good work and entering those traditional divisions
      and hopefully (just maybe) the idea will catch on out here.

      Michael
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
        If you look real close the Scot with the gun is a younger man(young man's
        toy) and the one's with bow are from the old school and skilled with what
        they use.

        James Cunningham

        > > Here is a site with some wood cuts showing Scots out shooting bows and
        > > standing about with bows, (and a gun). the bows look to be
        > > recurves.
        > > http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/
        > > Might help some one....
      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
          Documentation is allowed if the publication date is prior to 1650 and
          there is not specific reference to the object being created after 1600.
          The assumption is that it takes some time for items to make it into
          print.

          In service to the dream
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 21:10:58 -0500 "Nathaniel S. Prentice"
          <prentice@...> writes:
          > Two questions about these:
          >
          > 1. They were German blockprints. Could the German artist have
          > projected
          > forward his interpretation of what a bow looks like in Scotland?
          > 2. The lower one is OOP (1641). What is the date on the earlier
          > one?
          >
          > Nate

          Only $9.95 per month!
          Visit www.juno.com