Re: [SCA-Archery] Scotsman's Bow

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
      Greetings,
      To Padraig, I understand what you say about period "style"
      equipment in mundane tournaments, but I personally don't agree with your
      assessment.
      I shoot many mundane tournaments and the only equipment that I use
      would qualify for IKAC period division. This is the only type of archery
      that I enjoy. I realize that I am using simpler equipment than other
      competitors, but this is the type of tackle that I enjoy shooting. I
      have tried the others and it just doesn't feel the same to me (personal
      choice). I do like to win, and I've been fortunate enough to win my
      share of trophies. But it's not about the winning...it's about the
      shooting, and the feel of it. So that's why.
      It also has nothing to do with expense. All of my bows are custom
      bows that were made to my specs. 4 of my bows are wood and fiberglass
      laminated longbows with no cutout or shelf and an unnoticable riser. My
      lightest bow draws at 70#@28". My other 4 bows are horn nocked
      D-sectioned longbows with no cutout or shelf and one of them (my
      favorite) draws at 93-94#@28". I have a lot invested in my bows.
      Here in the Northeast US, most of the tournaments have a
      traditional division, and that's what I shoot in with my shooting
      buddies, some scadians, some not. Most of them are also shooting custom
      bows, usually recurves, but some shoot longbows. In the end it's all
      pretty much the same. Whatever you're comfortable with.
      -Geoffrei

    • hanhebin <hamberg@fiber.net>
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
        > Here in the Northeast US, most of the tournaments have a
        > traditional division, and that's what I shoot in with my shooting
        > buddies, some scadians, some not. Most of them are also shooting
        > custom bows, usually recurves, but some shoot longbows. In the end
        > it's all pretty much the same. Whatever you're comfortable with.

        Here in the west most of the mundane tournaments I attend have
        tradition divisions too but it's rare to see anybody compete in
        them. Keep up the good work and entering those traditional divisions
        and hopefully (just maybe) the idea will catch on out here.

        Michael
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
          If you look real close the Scot with the gun is a younger man(young man's
          toy) and the one's with bow are from the old school and skilled with what
          they use.

          James Cunningham

          > > Here is a site with some wood cuts showing Scots out shooting bows and
          > > standing about with bows, (and a gun). the bows look to be
          > > recurves.
          > > http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/
          > > Might help some one....
        • Carolus Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
            Documentation is allowed if the publication date is prior to 1650 and
            there is not specific reference to the object being created after 1600.
            The assumption is that it takes some time for items to make it into
            print.

            In service to the dream
            Carolus von Eulenhorst
            eulenhorst@...

            On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 21:10:58 -0500 "Nathaniel S. Prentice"
            <prentice@...> writes:
            > Two questions about these:
            >
            > 1. They were German blockprints. Could the German artist have
            > projected
            > forward his interpretation of what a bow looks like in Scotland?
            > 2. The lower one is OOP (1641). What is the date on the earlier
            > one?
            >
            > Nate

            Only $9.95 per month!
            Visit www.juno.com