Scotsman's Bow

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
      I would not hunt with anything less than a 45# recurve. That weight
      would be good for SCA shooting as well.

      This raises the point that many of the archers use their equipment for
      "mundane" sport as well as SCA. Why use less effective designs (which,
      face it, is the reason wy the longbows had the heavy draws) and give
      oneself additional hadicaps?

      Padraig MacRaighne
    • Chad Wilson
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
        --- Frederick Fenters <padraig@...> wrote:
        > I would not hunt with anything less than a 45# recurve. That weight
        > would be good for SCA shooting as well.

        Always consult your local and state laws. In my area (southwest ohio), there is
        a different requirement for compound bows, recurve, longbows and crossbows.

        > This raises the point that many of the archers use their equipment for
        > "mundane" sport as well as SCA. Why use less effective designs (which,
        > face it, is the reason wy the longbows had the heavy draws) and give
        > oneself additional hadicaps?

        What you call a handicap, another might call a challenge. Fred Bear shot just
        about one of every animal on the planet with his recurves and longbows. He
        doesn't strike me as having been disadvantaged because he didn't have a compound
        bow with stablizers, shock absorbers and illuminated sights.

        I am pondering doing some rabbit hunting on my parent's land with my recurve,
        just to try it. I do not hold out much hope of actually hitting a rabbit, but I
        am going to try.

        -Caedmon

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Harry Bilings
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
          A long time ago a friend of mine used to hunt rabbits with a bow by walking
          along crick banks and shooting while they were setting. Required a good eye
          to spot them but the shots were not that hard. Don't ask about the bow it
          was in the late 50's or early 60's that this happened and I don't remember
          much except that he did it.

          plachoya

          humble archer
          Ravens Fort Ansteorra

          http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_advancedjmf_3mf
        • brennin2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
            In a message dated 12/31/2002 10:55:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, padraig@... writes:

            > This raises the point that many of the archers use their equipment for
            > "mundane" sport as well as SCA. Why use less effective designs (which,
            > face it, is the reason wy the longbows had the heavy draws)
            > and give
            > oneself additional hadicaps?
            >
            > Padraig MacRaighne

            In a word? The feel of authenticity. Brennin of the Shire (ducking and running for cover. LOL)

            Naked, is what you are when waiting for the doctor, nude is what you are when poseing for artistic reasons, NEKKED is what you are when it's a little bit naughty, a little bit baudy, and a lot more fun
            -LORD ALLENOXXE
          • Dan Scheid
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
              when shooting rabbet aim just a tad high rabbits jump just a bit when they
              hear the string twang.
              Damales

              > A long time ago a friend of mine used to hunt rabbits with a bow by
              walking
              > along crick banks and shooting while they were setting. Required a good
              eye
              > to spot them but the shots were not that hard. Don't ask about the bow it
              > was in the late 50's or early 60's that this happened and I don't remember
              > much except that he did it.
              >
              > plachoya
              >
              > humble archer
              > Ravens Fort Ansteorra
              >

              > >I am pondering doing some rabbit hunting on my parent's land with my
              > >recurve,
              > >just to try it. I do not hold out much hope of actually hitting a
              rabbit,
              > >but I
              > >am going to try.
              > >
              > >-Caedmon

              > MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 3 months FREE*.

              http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=747
              4&SU=

              http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_advancedjmf
              _3mf

            • Simon Hondy
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
                Here is a site with some wood cuts showing Scots out shooting bows and
                standing about with bows, (and a gun). the bows look to be recurves.
                http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/
                Might help some one....

                Simon Hondy
              • Harry Bilings
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
                  Is that like deer jump when they hear the string? I missed a deer at about
                  15 yds because it did not jump.

                  plachoya

                  humble archer
                  Ravens Fort Ansteorra

                  >when shooting rabbet aim just a tad high rabbits jump just a bit when they
                  >hear the string twang.
                  >Damales

                • Dan Scheid
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
                    lol yes
                    Damales

                  • brennin2@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
                      In a message dated 12/31/2002 5:43:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, scholari@... writes:

                      > Here is a site with some wood cuts showing Scots out shooting bows and
                      > standing about with bows, (and a gun). the bows look to be
                      > recurves.
                      > http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/
                      > Might help some one....
                      >
                      > Simon Hondy

                      If anything it helps support the arguement that the recurve is period equipment. Actually one of the better ones. Personaly too many of the other pictures could have been easily brushed off as artistic interpitation. But that is just my nickles worth. Brennin

                      Naked, is what you are when waiting for the doctor, nude is what you are when poseing for artistic reasons, NEKKED is what you are when it's a little bit naughty, a little bit baudy, and a lot more fun
                      -LORD ALLENOXXE
                    • Nathaniel S. Prentice
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
                        Two questions about these:

                        1. They were German blockprints. Could the German artist have projected
                        forward his interpretation of what a bow looks like in Scotland?
                        2. The lower one is OOP (1641). What is the date on the earlier one?

                        Nate

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
                          brennin2@... wrote:

                          >In a message dated 12/31/2002 5:43:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, scholari@... writes:
                          >
                          >>Here is a site with some wood cuts showing Scots out shooting bows and
                          >>standing about with bows, (and a gun). the bows look to be
                          >>recurves.
                          >>http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/
                          >>Might help some one....
                          >>
                          >>Simon Hondy
                          >>

                          >If anything it helps support the arguement that the recurve is period equipment. Actually one of the better ones. Personaly too many of the other pictures could have been easily brushed off as artistic interpitation. But that is just my nickles worth. Brennin

                          However, keep in mind that those bows may well be recurved self bows and
                          laminated horn and sinew.

                        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 31, 2002
                            Greetings,
                            To Padraig, I understand what you say about period "style"
                            equipment in mundane tournaments, but I personally don't agree with your
                            assessment.
                            I shoot many mundane tournaments and the only equipment that I use
                            would qualify for IKAC period division. This is the only type of archery
                            that I enjoy. I realize that I am using simpler equipment than other
                            competitors, but this is the type of tackle that I enjoy shooting. I
                            have tried the others and it just doesn't feel the same to me (personal
                            choice). I do like to win, and I've been fortunate enough to win my
                            share of trophies. But it's not about the winning...it's about the
                            shooting, and the feel of it. So that's why.
                            It also has nothing to do with expense. All of my bows are custom
                            bows that were made to my specs. 4 of my bows are wood and fiberglass
                            laminated longbows with no cutout or shelf and an unnoticable riser. My
                            lightest bow draws at 70#@28". My other 4 bows are horn nocked
                            D-sectioned longbows with no cutout or shelf and one of them (my
                            favorite) draws at 93-94#@28". I have a lot invested in my bows.
                            Here in the Northeast US, most of the tournaments have a
                            traditional division, and that's what I shoot in with my shooting
                            buddies, some scadians, some not. Most of them are also shooting custom
                            bows, usually recurves, but some shoot longbows. In the end it's all
                            pretty much the same. Whatever you're comfortable with.
                            -Geoffrei

                          • hanhebin <hamberg@fiber.net>
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
                              > Here in the Northeast US, most of the tournaments have a
                              > traditional division, and that's what I shoot in with my shooting
                              > buddies, some scadians, some not. Most of them are also shooting
                              > custom bows, usually recurves, but some shoot longbows. In the end
                              > it's all pretty much the same. Whatever you're comfortable with.

                              Here in the west most of the mundane tournaments I attend have
                              tradition divisions too but it's rare to see anybody compete in
                              them. Keep up the good work and entering those traditional divisions
                              and hopefully (just maybe) the idea will catch on out here.

                              Michael
                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
                                If you look real close the Scot with the gun is a younger man(young man's
                                toy) and the one's with bow are from the old school and skilled with what
                                they use.

                                James Cunningham

                                > > Here is a site with some wood cuts showing Scots out shooting bows and
                                > > standing about with bows, (and a gun). the bows look to be
                                > > recurves.
                                > > http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/
                                > > Might help some one....
                              • Carolus Eulenhorst
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
                                  Documentation is allowed if the publication date is prior to 1650 and
                                  there is not specific reference to the object being created after 1600.
                                  The assumption is that it takes some time for items to make it into
                                  print.

                                  In service to the dream
                                  Carolus von Eulenhorst
                                  eulenhorst@...

                                  On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 21:10:58 -0500 "Nathaniel S. Prentice"
                                  <prentice@...> writes:
                                  > Two questions about these:
                                  >
                                  > 1. They were German blockprints. Could the German artist have
                                  > projected
                                  > forward his interpretation of what a bow looks like in Scotland?
                                  > 2. The lower one is OOP (1641). What is the date on the earlier
                                  > one?
                                  >
                                  > Nate

                                  Only $9.95 per month!
                                  Visit www.juno.com