Re: Handshock

  • L.J. Sparvero
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2002
      Fritz,
      That is the best explanation of handshock that I've seen in a long
      time, thank you very much for sharing it! The only minor comment I'd make
      is the observation that the speed that a bow can throw an arrow can never
      be greater than the speed that the ends of the limbs and string is going
      forward at launch (naturally). So if you get two bows with the same string
      length, fistmele, and draw weight, but one has big and heavy limbs
      (especially near the ends) and the other is svelte, the skinny bow will be
      able to snap back its limbs faster on release, launching an arrow faster.
      This is also why a human can't throw an arrow nearly as fast as a
      bow can launch it. When you think about it, the energy given to an arrow
      that is either thrown or launched off a bow comes from the same source --
      the archer's muscle power. The difference is that a bow transfers all the
      energy to the arrow in a short impulse and flings the arrow quickly, while
      the human arm can only move forward in a throwing motion just so fast. As
      an example, if someone is throwing a fastball at 90mph, their hand is going
      forward at that speed at the instant of release.

      -Lyev Davidovitch, AEthelmearc