Handshock (was Re: Anachronistic Archery Equipment)

  • Godwin fitzGilbert <Godwin@rmci.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2002
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carl West <eisen@a...> wrote:

      > If the bow is strong but heavy and slow, it needs a heavy projectile
      > throw. If the arrow is not heavy enough, it can not take the bow's
      > energy away with it.

      You are correct. At the time, I was firing arrows of about 485gr. I
      have since acquired an american longbow, and built a "flatter" than
      normal, english longbow. The american longbow came with shafts that
      were 440gr for just the shaft. I suspect (I haven't weighed them yet)
      that they finish out just under 600gr. I should try them.

      As far as twisting in my hand, where the bow is held, just doesn't fit
      my hand very well. My hands are medium sized, and that bow is quite
      wide at the grip area, so it probably did twist a bit.

      Thanks for the memory jog. I had applied the arrow weight matching to
      my two newer bows, but had written that one off. I may try it again.

      Godwin