Anachronistic Archery Equipment

  • albion1190 <albion1190@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 29, 2002
      Question:
      Why is it that we see SCA archers using anachronistic, modern styled,
      glass backed, American bows and in some cases aluminium and / or
      carbon arrows?
      Surely, if we are concerned with medieval re-creation of clothing,
      times and lifestyle, something is out of place. It's a joke to see
      the archery contingent lined up at archery events dressed up in
      various costumes, but using modern equipment. Is there something
      stopping the archers using authentic English longbows and wooden
      arrows in the true spirit of the SCA ?

      Wolfshead
    • mark s graves
      Message 75 of 75 , Jan 3, 2003
        Education is one of the central pillars of the marshal. You can do all
        the teaching you want, but if the person isn't having fun and doesn't
        come back-what have you gained. I would prefer to build the person's
        interest in archery first, and then develop the persona and the finer
        points. You have to teach some to walk before they can crawl. It is my
        aim to build their interest and broaden their education step by step.
        As a marshal I try to help each archer find what is right for them and
        not I define as period. I let them make that choice. What is right for
        me is different than what is right for you. I love shooting archery.
        My time is split between shooting, service as a line marshal/deputy
        regional officer and making my own equiptemnt. This is the path I choose
        to follow. I spend a lot of time teaching others, especially new
        marshals. William Ross

        Only $9.95 per month!
        Visit www.juno.com