Fletching Shapes

  • Wade Hutchison
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 6:25 AM
      Another illustration of medieval archers occurs in the Luttrel
      Psalter where there are two marginal illustrations of
      archers - one well known illustration of the archers
      shooting at the butts. In that picture, you can see
      archers shooting both parabolic and wedge-shaped fletching.
      In the second illustration, the illuminator has
      clearly drawn in the lines for the thread that is tying
      the feather on. This is a wedge-shaped fletch, btw.
      If anyone wants better references, I'll be glad to check
      at home for the page numbers, etc.

      If you know a (serious) scribe/illuminator, they probably
      have an edition of the Psalter.

      At 12:46 AM 8/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: BlkKnightI@...
      >

      >In a message dated 8/3/99 10:28:34 PM, BLOODSNG@... writes:
      >

      ><< Now that I think of it check out page 107 of Hardy's "Longbow". There
      are
      > all sorts of wild colored fletches shown there in a picture dated circa
      1440.

      > By the way, both refferences clearly show parabolic shaped feathers.
      >
      > Ottokar >>

      <snip references to period fletching>
      >I offer this for informational purposes, not to contradict but to supplement
      >information already offered by others (I have both previous offerings also).

      Yea, what he said.
      -----Gille