help the newbie, please

  • Amanda Bowen
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2002
      Greetings All,

      I would just like to start out by saying that I *have* read the archive of
      messages looking for relevant information and have taken a bit of advice
      from what I've found so far, but am looking for a more tailored answer, as
      it were. I've been in the SCA for a while now, but am completely new to
      archery. I've used a bow once or twice - your typical summer camp expirience
      - but that's really it. I'm looking for sources both for general information
      and for equipment. My questions:

      1. I'm mainly interested in target archery, at least for the time being. Is
      there some sort of list of requirements or rules out there? Most of what I
      have been able to find has related to combat archery. I'm in Ansteorra, by
      the way.

      2. Are there any reasonably priced sources for arrows out there? I'd prefer
      natural materials if at all possible (fiberglass is really not my thing) but
      will certainly try with manmade arrows if necessary. I do look forward to
      losing quite a few of them as I learn. I don't want to start out making my
      own, for obvious reasons.

      3. I'm slightly confused as to the meanings of various types of points I've
      heard discussed (field points, target points, combat points, etc.) Is there
      a intelligible list of definitions out there that I've just been missing?

      I could regale you with an endless list of questions regarding measuring
      arrow length and many other details which (now, at least) are confusing to
      me, but I think that three questions is enough for now.

      I thank you for any information you can provide. I know that I have seen
      some of you on other lists that I belong to, but names escape me at this
      point.

      Galiana de Baiona
      Stargate, Ansteorra

      ps - A good friend who has since moved away (and practiced archery
      mundanely, anyway) left me his Briton longbow from Baron Bows about two
      months ago. 30lb draw weight and 28" draw length, IIRC. (I'd use the
      abbreviations, but I'm not sure of them. Can you tell I'm a newbie?) Is this
      a good bow to start out with? I'm quite strong (so much so that when a
      member of my family needs to move furniture they call on me instead of on
      any of my male cousins) but that might not make a difference. Thoughts?

    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
        Hello Amanda,

        Welcome to the list. I hope I can answer a few of your questions.

        1. Glancing at the web, I notice that while Stargate didn't have an
        archery marshall listed or archery practises, the Canton of Gates
        Edges did. Talmon Parker was the name listed and I have seen his name
        on this list so I will let him give you the specifics of your
        kingdom.

        In general, you may shoot with any bow other than a compound bow. The
        Briton Longbow you have mentioned sounds like a very good bow to
        start with. After getting comfortable in your form, you may elect to
        move up to a higher weight but it is not neccessary. Your arrows need
        to be wood with feather fletching (okay, cane and similar materials
        are supported in most kingdoms but I would stick with wood.)

        To kill two birds with one stone, you could check out the IKAC site
        at http://detommaso.org/ikac/ as the rules there will probably fit
        into most kingdoms.

        2. Ahh, where to get those arrows. This has popped up on the list and
        here is my generic approach to it. First, get out to one of the
        practises and talk to the other archers there. Chances are good that
        one of them makes his own arrows and will be willing to make some for
        you at a very reasonable cost. Failing that, the other archers may be
        able to recommend a good local source such as a traditional archery
        shop. There are some on-line sources that are aimed at the SCA
        market. I can't remember them all but it was discussed a few months
        ago here. Of course, after a while you can start making your own.

        3. On points, our target arrows should be tipped with either field
        points or target points. I think the combat points you are referring
        to are the blunts used in combat archery and are not used on the
        target field except for novelty shoots. Normally, broadheads are
        banned. These are the heads for hunting and destroy most targets.
        Most of the SCA archers I know will shoot field points over target
        points. The field points come in a wider range of grain weights. The
        target points are lighter but look almost the same. Trying to
        describe the difference is awkward. The target point is a cylinder
        with a simple cone on the end. The field is a cylinder with a kind of
        sculpted cone on the end. Does that make sense. It's much easier to
        just show you each and say this is a field point and this is a target
        point. Don't know of any good lists that describe all the different
        points but what I would do is just go visit a site like
        3riversarchery.com and check out the points for the 5/16" shaft. They
        have a target point in the picture even though they say they have
        discontinued it for an actual field point at 70 grain.

        Hope this helps,
        James Wolfden
        Lions Gate, Antir

      • gary
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
          I am fairly new to archery myself but i feel that that bow would work
          for you. This site is very much into primitive archery, you might check
          it out also:
          http://www.primitivearcher.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=7
          gary/Ohio

          gary
        • Simon Hondy
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2002
            > 1. I'm mainly interested in target archery, at least for the time being.
            Is
            > there some sort of list of requirements or rules out there?

            SCA Target Archery, Thrown Weapons, and Missile Combat Rules, Regulations
            and Policies http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/archery/index.html

            Ansteorra Archery Page, if nothing else it provides contac for Archery
            Marshal people in your area.
            http://archery.ansteorra.org/

            > 2. Are there any reasonably priced sources for arrows out there?

            Well you are in luck, wood shafting, and natural feathers are required.

            Here is where many archery get arrows
            http://www.mericarchery.com/

            > 3. I'm slightly confused as to the meanings of various types of points

            Field Point, it has shoulder, Targets have a consistant tapers, I have also
            seen bullet points called target points.
            Here is a page o' points, look at the shape, not so much weather it screws
            in or not.
            http://www.martinarchery.com/access/arrow/point.html

            And combat points, are barbed and cruel steel nasty killing things... or a
            golf tube with a tennis ball on the end, depends which game you are playing
            in... ;}

            > I could regale you with an endless list of questions regarding measuring
            > arrow length and many other details which (now, at least) are confusing to
            > me, but I think that three questions is enough for now.

            Find a local Archer and/or Archery Marshal and ask about this, find a local
            Archery shop, talk to them in person.

            If you are buying premade arrows, they will ask you to make certain
            measurements and such and they will figure out what kine arrows you need.

            > Galiana de Baiona
            > Stargate, Ansteorra
            >
            > ps - A good friend who has since moved away (and practiced archery
            > mundanely, anyway) left me his Briton longbow from Baron Bows about two
            > months ago. 30lb draw weight and 28" draw length,

            30 is a good bow weight. You should use it. Especially since you have it.
            If you find it is to light, try heavier bows if you can and then buy bows in
            a weight you like. Average for most seems to run from about 30 to 45
            pounds.
            Here is another good bow resource..
            http://www.oldbow.com/

            Hope some of this helps,
            Simon Hondy
            Middle Kingdom
            Midlands
            Shire of Baile na Scolairi
          • roguenad2000 <nad@northstartraders.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 12, 2002
              I'm new to the SCA too, and have only been doing traditional archery
              a little over 6 months, so please take my comments with a bag of
              salt ;)

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Bowen"
              <reason_prevails@h...> wrote:

              > 2. Are there any reasonably priced sources for arrows out there?
              I'd prefer
              > natural materials if at all possible (fiberglass is really not my
              thing) but
              > will certainly try with manmade arrows if necessary. I do look
              forward to
              > losing quite a few of them as I learn. I don't want to start out
              making my
              > own, for obvious reasons.

              I've been getting most of my Archery supplies from Valley Traditional
              Archery out of Colorado. They have been very helpful every time I
              have called, even when I ask stupid questions. Their web site is
              http://www.valleytradarchery.com/

              > A good friend who has since moved away (and practiced archery
              > mundanely, anyway) left me his Briton longbow from Baron Bows
              > about two months ago. 30lb draw weight and 28" draw length, IIRC.
              >(I'd use the abbreviations, but I'm not sure of them. Can you tell
              > I'm a newbie?) Is this a good bow to start out with? I'm quite
              > strong (so much so that when a member of my family needs to move
              > furniture they call on me instead of on any of my male cousins)
              > but that might not make a difference. Thoughts?

              Can you comfortably Draw the bow? Then its a good place to start.
              Depending on your drawlength, you may find that a bow that pulls 30#
              at 28" might be to light for you. My girlfriend keeps telling me how
              light my bow is and it pulls 30# at 28" (her draw length is only 24"
              so she gets just under 20# of pull with it). So you may find you want
              something a little stronger.

              Having said that. See of you can try some different bows. I know most
              of the Ren Faires I have shot at people have been more than willing
              to let me try different bows to find what "feels right". From the
              SCA Archers I met at Potrero War, I can only say they are just as
              welcoming, so I bet they would do the same.

              Dan
            • Talmon Parker
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 13, 2002
                Once again I cain't really answer these questions if I don't know where you
                are located. No offence but your location wilet us get you the help you
                desire. Thanks Talmon Of ansteorra.

                DER BARON