newbie questions

  • Amanda Bowen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
      Greetings all,

      I'd like to start out by introducing myself. I am Galiana de Baiona from
      Stargate, Ansteorra. I have been in the SCA for a year and a half now,
      though I am unable to attend events very frequently. Having only held and
      shot a bow once or twice in my life I consider myself an extreme novice, and
      it is on that note that I'll ask the following questions.

      1. Is there a list of target archery rules floating around out there
      somewhere? I have looked at what SCA archery websites have come to my
      attention, but always seem to find requirements for combat archery. While I
      am interested in this aspect as well, I should like to start out doing only
      target archery.

      2. Are there any preferred sources for arrows and the like, preferably
      relatively inexpensive so that when I lose or break some (as I am sure I
      will do) I won't go into convulsions? I'm ignorant of the particular rules
      and specifications for target arrows (hence question one) so a merchant who
      wouldn't mind helping me in that regard would be appreciated. A rundown of
      the basic features of the arrows would help too. I've heard talk of field
      points and target points and combat points, and have begun to recognize the
      differences, but I'd be eternally grateful for a "This does this. Get
      these."

      3. I want to start out shooting longbow. (slight chuckles emanate from the
      crowd) My friend has offered to give me his longbow to start out with, as he
      does not play in the SCA and uses mainly those strange bows with the cams
      and pulleys and the laser sight for hunting, but I wanted to know if a 72"
      longbow with a 28" draw length and 30# draw weight would be overextending
      myself? I'm quite strong (so much so that when my family wants to move
      furniture they call me instead of any of my male cousins) but am not sure if
      I should really start out with something lighter. It is a Briton longbow
      from Baron Bows, if that matters.

      Thank you all ever so much for putting up with this long-winded letter. I've
      searched through the archives for information regarding the above questions,
      but thought it better to ask the experts for clarification, as it were, than
      to try to muddle through on my own and thus get the wrong information.

      Thank you again,

      Galiana

      ps - I'm sure I've seen a few of you on other lists that I'm on, but names
      escape me at the moment. Greetings to those I've met before.

    • Jonathan Harton
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
        GREETINGS Names Jonathan(real)or Sceotend (SCA)
        whichever you prefer. Ill try to do the best I can for
        you in your questions.

        As far as the rules go, go to the SCA main web page
        and in the rules section there will be a listing for
        target and combat rules.

        Arrow are rather simple. You have the nock(slit you
        fit to the bowstring), the Fletches(Feathers),
        Shaft(long wooden part), and the head(Field points and
        target points are basicaly the same thing just
        something stubby and somewhat sharp while combat
        points are broadheads, the sterotypical arrowhead
        shape is a broadhead with several variations. SCA
        combat heads are like rubber blunts and several other
        variations that are safe to shoot at people.

        http://www.cajun1.net/cajun-archery/cedar-wood-arrows.html
        This is a good place to get cheep simple target
        arrows. I would suggest the Four inch Featherd ones.

        The Bow your getting is a good bow I can assure you.
        Iv seen many Barons in action and can voutch for their
        reliability. As for the weight I think youll be just
        fine. 30# @ 28" is standard for combat and will be
        sutiable for targets. There no target that will be
        placed in front of you that you cant hit with a 30#
        bow although a higher poundage would decrease the
        amount of elevation drop you will have to compensate
        for with a lower poundage bow. I would suggest that
        after you become proficiant with this bow, if your as
        strong as you say you should be just fine as far as
        pull goes, to get a higher # bow around 40-45# for
        target archery as you will find it easier to compeat
        with a bow of that range when you have worked to that
        leval.

        I hope I was of some help
        Have fun shooting
        Jonathan.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • mark s graves
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
          Hi my name is William and I am a deputy regional archery marshal for
          Pentamere in the Midrealm. What kind of rules are you looking for? Are
          you inquiring about the parameters of bow and arrow types allowed. If
          so, what kingdom? The rules are mostly the same from kingdom to kingdom,
          but there are some different interpretations about them. Basically the
          bow must be safe for you to draw, no risers, stabilizers and for
          recurves/longbows no sights. We want the bow to be as much mideival in
          flavor as possible. Some things like metal limbs are not illegal, but
          discouraged. For arrows, I have always had good luck with Three Rivers
          Archery (threeriversarchery.com) out of Indiana. We want the arrowa to
          be made of wood and not fiberglass or aluminium with either target or
          field points. Broadhead/hunting points are not allowed. Cross bows are
          allowed, but there are certain guidelines for types and how they look.

          Only $9.95 per month!
          Visit www.juno.com