Crossow Guilds in Switzerland

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2002
      Greetings,
      So sorry it's taken so long to get back on this. First of all,
      Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Americans, and to all of you that
      are not Americans, you're welcome to a whole lot of leftover turkey :)
      The book that I got the information about the Swiss crossow guilds
      and groups is from " A History of Marksmanship" by Charles Chenevix
      Trench published in 1972. Clearly this is not a period reference but
      like the Hardy book, I have found his information to be accurate and
      scholarly. He refers to three groups, The Brotherhood of St. Sebastian
      of Schauffhausen, The Guild of Crossbowmen of Zurich and the Guild of
      St. Sebastian of Bruges. I believe that the last one is of later origin.
      I am told that there were several such groups in Switzerland.
      That's all I got so far. Have fun holiday shopping :P .
      -Geoffrei