Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Tassels? yet again...

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 23, 2002
      Hello Sir Jon,
      Yup! I'm well aware of the tassels as a part of contemporary
      "belly dance" garb, but that is not a truly period applcation either. It
      is something made popular by some very talented and creative
      "American-fusion" style of "belly dancers" like the "Fat Chance Belly
      Dance" troop. They do a wonderful job of creating a new flavor in the
      Middle-Eastern dance scene.
      The tassels that were used in the Middle East in period were primarily
      used as decorations on horse and camel tackle. But it looks good on the
      dancers and certainly creates the flavor of a period design and is so
      widely used by dancers now in the SCA world and the mundane world, that
      soon nobody will remember that it is a recent application. We could say
      the same for archery. How many images of Robin Hood can you think of
      where he's not wearing a back quiver?
      If we want to be truly "period" in our treatment of archers, make
      sure that the Crown pays them well for their services and let them
      return home with some of the loot they've pillaged.
      If we want to follow previous SCA standards, we're kind of free to
      make up our own. In period archers were tolerated and even coveted in
      time of war, but after the battles were won, they were pretty much
      ignored. There were no standard devices that were used to denote archers
      inter-Kingdom.
      BTW I realize that you wrote that tongue-in-cheek. My response
      although long is equally lighthearted. If my fellow archers in society
      wish to find something to denote themselves inter-Kingdom, then we can't
      look to a precedent in history because it didn't exist. We should just
      make up one that has the flavor of "period" if that's what everyone
      wants to do.
      But please, reconsider the "white" thing. ;)
      -Geoffrei