Re: Attitudes (was: White bracer)

  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2002
      I agree with my long ago brother in arms, Carl West. Any discipline
      will have in it those who have a need to be "officially" recognised
      for their efforts...how ever lame or strong they may be...those same
      disciplines have numerous people who care not for the glory, but for
      the adventure and fun. Some people even relax! Carl and I used to
      cross weapons, and never once did we argue over who was better...we
      just beat the snot out of each other and enjoyed it.
      For japanese archery, it has always been considered a "noble" thing,
      and even as rank-oriented (no pun intended) as Samurai were, they had
      no official ranks for master archers that I know of...other than the
      distinctive badge of being alive and holding your bow...you were
      either good at shooting, or you got shot by someone who was...
      Just some thoughts...
      (Konnichi wa Carl from Date, formerly Tengu of "the Nips")
      YIS
      Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
      kabuto@...
      http://www.kabutographics.com

      --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Carl West <eisen@a...> wrote:
      > RJ Bachner wrote:
      > > and I suppose that fighters fight just for the love of it and
      could care less what anybody else
      > > thinks? Of course they do not, they are largely glory hogs as we
      all know. So why do we have to be
      > > any less?
      >
      > I've been fighting for roughly twenty years and shooting for about
      twelve. In my experience, the majority of fighters and archers do what
      they do for the love of it.

      > Each discipline has its 'Glory Hogs' and each has its excellent
      practitioners, some are known because they've worked hard at being
      known, and others are known because they're just that good and a few
      are known for both reasons.

      > Deep down, most fighters are clear on the idea that they'll never be
      king or get knighted, either because of lack of physical ability,
      mental dedication or time. They fight because it's fun and satisfying.
      Same goes for fencers.

      > I'd rather the White Bracer not become a society-wide thing. I've
      watched the angst and brouhaha that accompanies the White Scarf. I
      don't think it serves the Society as a whole.

      > Either way, you won't find me wearing a white bracer on the range.
      For whatever reasons, I'm known well enough there for my tastes.