Re: Rangefinding

  • hanhebin
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2002
      > In the Kingdom of Atenveldt the use of limb marks is very well
      > received. Most Archers shoot more instinstive.

      The only reason why I mark my limbs is to help eliminate the guessing
      on that "FIRST SHOT" and shooting can be a real bear when you shoot
      at a variety of different elevations and climates. Shooting
      instinctive is great unless you go from shooting almost 7000' one
      weekend to sea level the next. Shooting dry desert air to major
      humidity. I've lost too many arrows because I tried to be a pure
      instinctive shooter

      Michael
    • L.J. Sparvero
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2002
        > From: "Talmon Parker" <tt_ann@...>
        >Subject: Re: Rangefinding
        >
        > What are you calling the groin?, and at what range?
        > Parker

        The fork where both pant legs meet (although I don't quite understand the
        second half of your question). An average adult male (5'11" or 180cm tall)
        has a leg to base-of-groin measurement of about 90cm, base of groin to top
        of shoulders of about 60cm, and shoulders to very top of head of about
        30cm. Check out any basic drawing book for these approximate ratios.
        Incidentally, adult women will tend have proportionally longer legs and
        shorter torsos.

        I've found that experienced hunters can judge ranges by looking at trees
        and such near the target, and estimating how far away the trees look.

        Of course, if someone has a particularly sadistic streak and lots of time
        to make warrior/knight/viking/whatever archery targets, they could through
        the rangefinding of alot of folks out the window by making an army of
        proportioned dwarves and giants to shoot at -- but don't tell the archers
        that they're shooting at dwarves and giants!. Just be sure you get a head
        start on the archers as they retrieve....

        -Lyev